Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&d

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

Each time I run Spybot S&D I've been getting the following error:
Windows Security Center. Firewall Disable Notify
Setting
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Sec
When I click on "fix" it fixes it and clears it. For a firewall I'm using the one in the 2Wire Modem(1000HG) and also the one on PC-cillin Internet Security 2006. The Windows firewall is "OFF". Is this what the error is telling me, that it is detecting that the Windows firewall is off?
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Each time I run Spybot S&D I've been getting the following error:
Windows Security Center. Firewall Disable Notify
Setting
When I click on "fix" it fixes it and clears it. For a firewall I'm using the one in the 2Wire Modem(1000HG) and also the one on PC-cillin Internet Security 2006. The Windows firewall is "OFF". Is this what the error is telling me, that it is detecting that the Windows firewall is off?

I don't have an answer as to what it is. But just so you can compare notes:
1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Sec -- such key isn't on my computer (XP-SP2), so it looks suspicious
2. I run ZoneAlarm firewall and virus. Windows firewall is OFF. Spybot S&D does NOT complain.
3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Security Center has 5 keys, all are set to zero, all are Reg_Dword.
S&D might be telling you that something is trying to change the registry?

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

Is there a way I can look and see what it might be? I don't even know what the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...is.
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

It is a Registry entry, H KEY is registry term. It may be a false positive. May be a conflict of firewalls. Why do you have 2 firewalls?
And do you have the complete message...Does it say anything after'Sec'

You can read this L@@K Beeping Computer tutorial to better understand the Registry

Edited by boopme, 01 January 2006 - 11:49 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:29 AM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Sec is all that showed up on the drop-down from the error detected. I just logged off and restarted and ran Spybot 2 consecutive times and the error didn't show up. It said nothing was found.
I have the firewall on pc-cillin activated and the firewall on the 2Wire modem is on. On an earlier post I was told to use the 2Wire modem's hardware firewall because it is a good LAN security...that a hardware firewall and a software firewall will not interfere and it is a good means of security.
As for the registry, is it recommended to run one of the registry cleaner tools and if so which one?
Thanks

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:24 AM

Well that 's good news. Spybot probably updated itself and cleared that up. The 2 walls are fine in that case,I just wondered why.
As for Registry I use ERROR NUKER, I paid for it and I like it,Its easy to use and does the editing for you. you can get it here and run a free scan. There are a few others there but I know nothing of them.

http://www.registrycleanerreview.com/

To see if you have errors but you'lll have to buy it to fix them. Unless you good with editing the Registry. And I do mean good. Registry editing is not a playground.

Also there are free ones but I don't know which to recommend. Someone will probably come along with that info.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:29 AM

Me good with registry? No way! I just ran spybot again and nothing. I'm waiting and see if anyone suggests an easy registry tool. Thanks.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

Me good with registry? No way! I just ran spybot again and nothing. I'm waiting and see if anyone suggests an easy registry tool. Thanks.

Start
Run
regedit
NOW BE CAREFUL!!
Start clicking on the HKEY items the same way you use windows explorer
find hkey local machine
click on+ to expand
click on software+ to expand and so on till you get to the places you and I mentioned above
DO NOTHING. JUST LOOK and GET OUT.

One thing is safe-you can save that section SEC or Security Center, whatever you actually have in a text file by using File, Save ... just this key. Then if you see something weird, post the text here for the experts to advise you :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users