Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streaming Video Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JoseV

JoseV

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I've got a problem with trying to watch streaming videos, they run for a couple of seconds and then stop as they try to buffer.

The thing is, everything was running fine up until a couple of days ago and then this buffering problem happened. I recently did a fresh install of everything, running XP with service pack 3 and the newest version of Firefox. I'm pretty sure my flash player is also up to date. Is anybody else having this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Is this just on Youtube? Try a different viral video site like Daily Motion.

http://www.dailymotion.com/

#3 JoseV

JoseV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

It's happening with all streaming video I've tried including dailymotion. The thing is, it was working fine one minute and then the next video I tried to watch, it wouldn't buffer. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Use the Flash uninstall tool at this link to uninstall Flash and then download a fresh copy. At least this will tell us if Flash is the problem or maybe it's something else.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#5 JoseV

JoseV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hi Frank,
I did as you suggested and my video's still not working. It plays for a couple of seconds and stops while it buffers before starting again. I've also tried IE and the results aren't any better. Thanks again for your help.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

You didn't say before that it starts again after buffering. I think that brief buffering is normal for streaming video. I suggest you allow the clip to load completely before starting it and you can probably avoid that.

#7 JoseV

JoseV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

Sorry about the misunderstanding but I thought I had mentioned it. Anyway, it's not a brief buffering period, it's fairly long. I'm talking about waiting 10-15 seconds to watch two seconds of video. And like I said it was working fine a couple of days ago, then all of a sudden this massive slowdown occurred. I was just wondering if it was normal, or if I should just bit the bullet on this and wait ten to twenty minutes to watch a music video. Thanks again for your help.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

Let's take Youtube as an example. It's still loading the video when it autostarts. So buffering could be an issue. They recommend that you pause the video and allow it to load to avoid buffering. Most people don't do that. So I think brief buffering, even 10-15 secs, is normal. If it was buffering indefinitely, that's different. I can't comment on your perception.

#9 pacificdenizen

pacificdenizen

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

In Firefox, many people have had success by disabling Plugin Container.

See the last post on this page. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1995101

It worked for me, but apparently others have had the browser crash after doing it.

#10 JoseV

JoseV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for the tip, but it seems like the problem has resolved itself more or less. I'm thinking that it might be my DSL speed, which goes from decent to slow in the blink of an eye sometimes. I'll try what you suggested if it happens again though. Thanks again.

#11 pacificdenizen

pacificdenizen

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Glad it's working better now.

#12 elenalee

elenalee

• Members
  • 1 posts