Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 and hidden/system attributes on removable media

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ThomasAllen

ThomasAllen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

I currently have a project where I need to copy all contents of multiple drives, CDs and DVDs onto a single 500GB drive, then send to a vendor. I have to do this about once every two weeks. The process I use is as follows:

• Format external destination drive (ntfs)
  • Create folder on dest drive to take contents of one source HD
  • Open command prompt in new folder on dest drive
  • Use xcopy /e to copy all contents of source drive to this folder

No problem, works fine. The problem comes in with Windows, for some reason, setting Hidden and System attributes on the folders I create (naming convention: "ABC Production No 123" --no weird characters). The vendor has called claiming that large amounts of data are missing, when in fact, they are simply hidden. Now, I've started checking the drives before shipping to ensure that no folders are hidden, but I would rather not have to go back and change attributes if there is some way to get Windows to stop doing this.

This has happened on WD My Passport Essential 500GB drives and on CMS ESNOTEB-500 drives, so it doesn't seem to be a brand-specific issue.

My thinking is that this may have something to do with xcopy, since the attributes seem to get set at the start of a copy procedure. I should mention that none of the files and folders being copied are Hidden/System.

TIA,
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users