Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update/Windows Search/Personalize Desktop will not load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arkardykris

arkardykris

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

My first post here and I'm wondering if someone can help with my problem since I've completely run out of ideas...

For the last few months I have been unable to load Windows Update, Windows Search, or the Personalize Desktop option when right clicking on the desktop.

When I click on these items a window will open for a second (completely white) and then close instantly. There's seemingly no way around this and the same is true in Safe Mode.

Suspecting a virus, trojan or similar I have run a number of scans (AVG, SpyBot, Ad Aware, Malware Bytes, Kaspersky, Norton, command line sfc, etc). Apart from a few tracking cookies nothing has been found. Running HijackThis also revealed nothing untoward.

I've search the MS Knowledge base extensively and not found anything. There are similar problems regarding specific error numbers but I do not get one, just a window that opens then quickly closes. I have tried MS's own FixIt tool for Windows Update and it didn't make any difference.

I can still search using the quick search bar in the start menu but clicking "search everywhere" does nothing. I can still change my desktop background by right clicking on an image and choosing "set as desktop background".

I cannot run Windows Update. All of my other software is completely up to date.

I still suspect that this is some sort of very clever trojan rather than an OS error but since I'm not getting any error messages I can't be sure.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 29 April 2011 - 05:11 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

Can you run regedit?

Access the Microsoft website?

Update your installed AV program?

What other system anomalies exist?

Louis

#3 arkardykris

arkardykris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

i can run regedit.

i can access the microsoft and any other websites.

avg is up to date, but im having to force update it since it's now been disabled and i can't re-enable it... windows security center warns it's disabled, i click "turn on" and it instantly reverts back to "turned off".

apart from the above AVG issue i havent noticed anything else, although im sure there are likely to be other problems.

on another computer a few years ago i had similar problems with a vicious trojan that was extremely complicated to remove. i hope it's not the same sort of problem.

again, grateful for any thoughts and insights.

Edited by arkardykris, 29 April 2011 - 07:00 PM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hello,

I have a suspicion about something. Let's see if you can run the following diagnostic tool and see if my hunch is correct.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users