Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore XP Pro User Account accidentally removed in Computer Management > Member of tab.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

04-30-11 / USA!

Greetings:

As a newbie, this is my second post AND a new issue. And one that def qualifies me the right to call myself: "windummy" up here in BC!

My first post involved explaining about getting whacked by WIN RECOVERY virus and HOW I was able to fix some things---but not all, etc.

I've yet to get a reply. Prob because I listed too many associations to that problem.

However, one of the probs was inability to manually update my XP Pro (SP3).

The error code for that is: 0x800A0046

Also, SR is turned off by initial virus attack and impossible to turn back on or off via roll back options through My Computer icon right click > Properties > Tools > System Restore.

I was advised by my retail tech to remove tool bar and re-install IE-8 again.

(My main browser is firefox. I Use IE-8 only for MS updates as separate browser).

The 0x800A0046 error code in manual win updates still appeared as before. So, THIS is what I did in their knowledge Base Article suggestions regarding this code error as follows:

(please click a/o URL copy paste)

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=20&ln=en&IsMu=True

To make things shorter, they provide x 3 solutions.

The first (2) did not work.

#3. (Where I discovered Administrative Tools icon was missing from Start / All Progs icon list) is where my life ended.

I knew I could access this tool through Control Panel a/o C: / All Programs and did so to follow #3. instructions by Microsoft:

3. Please remove the user account experiencing difficulty from the Guests or Limited user account

1. Click Start.
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Control Panel.
4. Select Administrative Tools.
5. Choose Computer Management.
6. Expand Local Users and Groups.
7. Select Users.
8. Open the account used to access Windows Update.
9. Click the Member Of tab.
10. Highlight the user account you want to remove and click Remove.

By removing "user account" from Member Of tab, my PC defaults to Administrator with no pass word needed for log on.

You know the rest.

Tons of things missing and also files and short cuts on my usual desktop display.

I spent hours researching and trying all that safe mode stuff and pecking at Ctrl > Alt > Delete twice and all that.

In My Docs & Setting folder, a file folder with my nickname cannot be opened and says:

"Not Accesible / access denied."

So in closing everything seems gone. I have back up and that's fine, but the original desktop, My Pictures, My music, shortcuts, download folders, etc....all gone or just hidden somewhere else.

I can't roll back because of SR issue mentioned.

How screwed am I here?

My original user account name and password should be around somewhere. Right?

It's a nightmare reading google search remedies about all this, etc.

That's basically it.

HOW CAN I RECOVER A REMOVED USER ACCOUNT AND PASS WORD?

To get things back as before?

Thanks!

Re,

MH~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

Just a clarification.

Your first topic/post was made 26 Apr in the wrong forum. You posted your comments in the Malware Removal Logs forum...you did not submit any logs, so the post did not belong there. Turnaround for topics in that forum is currently 7-8 days...so it's probably a good thing that you made this second post or your topic would have remained needlessly in the wrong forum.

I just moved your post to the appropriate forum, your topic is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic393718.html/page__p__2221926#entry2221926 .

Since you have an open thread/topic concerning a possibly infected system...I suggest that you not explore any other apparent issues on that system until the topic listed above is concluded.

Louis

#3 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

04-30-11 / USA!

@ Louis:

Thank you for your reply to this post and for also setting me straight about my first one on 4/26 as being in the wrong BC Forum.

I appreciate you placing things in the correct areas for me and understand the instruct/suggestions you prescribed.

Re,

MH~

#4 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

04-30-11 / USA!

UPDATE: My Issue With RECOVERING A REMOVED USER ACCOUNT AND PASS WORD Is Resolved.

> The other (2) issues involving:

1. "Win Update Error Code # 0x800A0046"
2. "XP-Pro System Restore permanently turned off"

are NOT resolved and have also been mentioned in my first post in another incorrect Forum section I posted on 4/26. That post declared other issues I had posted in that wrong section.

That all has now been correctly copied and placed by moderator: "hamluis" as follows:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic393718.html/page__p__2221926#entry2221926

Sorry for any confusions.

Re,

MH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users