Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I don't even know what's wrong anymore

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Plaidhero

Plaidhero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

I've had terrible virus problems in the past two days, the worst I've ever had. It started with the Win 7 Security 2011 virus. I thought malwarebytes had cleaned that up. Then, I got the worst one I've ever had called Windows Recovery. I read that this one hides many of your programs, so I ran malwarebytes and hopefully got rid of it. But none of my icons were anywhere. I ran unhide.exe that I found on this site and some of them managed to come back. I did a full scan with malwarebytes after just to be sure everything was gone. I was told there was nothing left. But I'm still missing a good majority of my laptop. Most of my icons that were on my desktop before are no longer there, including recycle bin. Also, my search function in the start menu is bringing absolutely no results other than incredibly basic, preinstalled programs. I can't find almost anything, but when I try and reinstall, I'm told they still exist on my computer. Also, my windows explorer and windows media player do no work, and when clicked on where they used to be I get a notification claiming that they have been removed, renamed, etc. I honestly do not know what to do anymore. I would try and run Microsoft Security Essentials, but I cannot search for it or find the icon. When I try and reinstall it, I'm told it's already on my laptop. When I try to uninstall, it doesn't seem to work and stays at uninstalling for an extended period of time. I'm afraid most of my information has been completely deleted by the virus, or hidden to the point where unhide.exe does not work. I'm also afraid that even if I do manage to find everything again, I'll have to completely reconfigure my laptop. I'm thinking it's gone beyond what I can do. Should I bring it in to be cleaned and repaired? Or can you guys let me know something I can do? I'm not the most tech savy guy, but I do know my way around a computer. I would provide logs, but like I said full scans are coming up with nothing. Thanks for your time.

I will also note that I have tried using RKill, and saw that it did remove two things. I did this before my most recent full scan.

Edited by Plaidhero, 29 April 2011 - 11:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users