Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing laptop screen at the hinges

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clairecobra

clairecobra

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

I'm curious --
I have an old Dell Inspiron E1505 and the LCD screen doesn't work anymore. But I only use this old laptop to hook up to the TV with a VGA cable and watch DVD's and streaming Netflix. (So it would make no sense to replace the laptop's LCD, because I don't use it). Is it possible to remove the entire screen and screen casing of my laptop, at the hinges, so I would essentially have what looks like a chunky keyboard + mousepad? Would the motherboard get confused about the missing screen?
I have an intermediate knowledge of software, and a basic knowledge of hardware, but I've never been inside a computer. A ) Is this possible? And if so, could I get some instruction on how to not mess up this operation? and B ) Would this be above my skill level?
Thanks
-C

Edited by clairecobra, 29 April 2011 - 09:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 al57

al57

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

This can be done first if you have never taken a laptop apart the main thing to remember is DON'T FORCE ANYTHING you begin by unpluging the power cord and remove the battery so there is no power to the laptop to avoid shorts next turn the laptop over and remove the screws that are marked with a k these are the screws that hold the keyboard in place next remove the screws on the bottom at the screen side of the laptop these screws hold the cover plate on above the keyboard now take a small flathead screw driver and gently pry the cover plate off once you get started it should pry off easily
if there is any resistance you don't have all the screws removed that hold the cover plate on whith the plate removed you will see two or three screws
that hold the keyboard inlpace removethe keyboard can noww be removed you should now see the cable that attaches to the motherboard gently pull it straight up you should now see the hinge mounts. there are two screws that hold the hinges to the laptop body these are located on the back remove
these screws and the screen can be removed from the laptop with the screen removed reconnect the key board ribbon cable and install the keyboard and coverplate connect the external monitor and you should be good to go you may have to go into the control panel and click on display to see if the computer recognizes the external good luck and remember patience is the key and don't force anything

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Excellent tutorial Al57.

One thing I would add to consider doing prior to removal of the LCD. Go into Device Manager and disable the on board monitor. Also depending on the BIOS options I would consider disabling it there too.
This should avoid any problems after removal as to where the lap top will send the display signal to as well as any BIOS generated errors you may encounter after unplugging the ribbon cable that connects the LCD.

The above may not be necessary. But sure should not hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users