Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU pegged at 100%

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PSpear

PSpear

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

I have an oldie-but-goodie-build-your-own system, Pentium IV, 2 GHZ, 1G RAM, etc. Just swapped out a bad CD burner with a new one, then installed a wireless router. Now my CPU is always at 100%, task manager shows 5 instances of svchost.exe running. Somewhere in the middle of all this, XP wanted to download and install updates, so I tried to do so, but not sure if it succeeded. I read about an issue with Microsoft Update that can cause this and tried some fixes suggested but no dice. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

Which process is using the cycles?

#3 PSpear

PSpear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

I'm at work, so can't check, but I do remember that only one of the processes running was using over 61,000K of memory. The rest were much lower. The PF usage was only in the low 200s, so it doesn't seem to be using a lot of RAM, just cycles, as you say.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

Not interested in memory, only cpu%

Edited by Allan, 29 April 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#5 PSpear

PSpear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Sorry about that, I tend to get caught up in RAM usage. I'll check that out when I can.

#6 PSpear

PSpear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Okay, turns out it was BM.exe (which stands for Bowel Movement as far as I'm concerned, but is aka HP Button Manager, apparently)so I shut it down and removed it. Running fine now.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Good deal. Glad you're all sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users