Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with cursor, won't load Win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skolioli

skolioli

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:30 AM

I have a Dell Vostros 230 and I am running Windows 7. Yesterday I accidentally downloaded Search toolbar. After deleting everything possible I downloaded Autoruns to see what was in my start up. After Autoruns ran for a second the pc then shut down and has had the black screen with cursor every since. I put the reinstallation disk in to repair and can't get system restore to work. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barthez

Barthez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:17 AM

Can you start Windows in safe mode?

Barthez

Posted Image

#3 skolioli

skolioli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

No I can't get to safe mode. One time I left the room and came back after rebooting and safe mode was up. I tried to boot in safe mode with networking but it went back to the black screen.

#4 Barthez

Barthez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:12 AM

1. Your system may have troubles with booting up for various reasons, corrupted or missing system files is one of them.

System File Checker is a Windows utility that can fix those problems by replacing missing and corrupted windows files.

It could be run form command prompt in normal boot mode, safe mode and through recovery console.

I can't guarantee you that this will fix your problem, but it should be safe enough to try.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-sfc-offline-windows-7-vista/

2. Another thing is the Search Toolbar you're referring to. It could help if you could tell us it's full name, what software exactly you where installing in order to get it, and what steps did you take to delete it (maybe you deleted a bit to much? ).

3. If you would successfully boot up in safe mode at some point think about running a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan. Just in case ;)

Barthez

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users