Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart freezes but Shut Down and then power up works fine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Finsteigle

Finsteigle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:33 AM

This is a Mac Mini with a 60Gb partition with Win 7 installed. I have discovered that whenever I "Restart" as prompted after updates or using the Restart option in the Start menu the computer seems to shut down fine but then just hangs with a black screen instead of restarting. I am then forced to shut down by holding in the power button. It always starts up fine from a cold boot but i do want to resolve this issue as I am not comfortable with forced shut downs in case it causes damage.

Some trawling of the web suggests that the only difference between Restart and doing a full Shut Down and then powering up is that the latter clears the BIOS. I am hesitant to start messing around with the BIOS as I have no experience of that.

Can anyone suggest what might cause this issue or what I should be doing to resolve it?

Moved from External Hardware to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2011 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Finsteigle

Finsteigle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

More information on this issue. It appears that the computer is booting up after all. Its a very quiet machine and I mistakenly assumed the black screen after a warm boot was it hanging. Not so.

I have discovered that disconnecting and reconnecting the VGA cable brings the monitor to life. This only seems to work when the boot has reached or is nearing the log in stage. Its as if the screen/adapter is not detected until the screen disconnected/reconnected.

I have noticed with this computer (being a Mac) that it does not display the adapter infomation upon boot as would a PC. Its still a mystery to me why this issue should only occur on a restart. A cold boot detects the monitor fine.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Sorry, I previously misplaced this...the delay in response hopefully will not prevent more informed and alert members from responding :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users