Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Background Unable To Change

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darkraider

Darkraider

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

I have this desktop labeled "Spyware Infection your system is infected with spyware. Windows recommends you to use a spyware removal tool to prevent loss of important data and increase system performance. Using this PC before having it cleaned from spyware threats is highly discouraged". Iv used the microsoft spyware removal. ad-aware and many others and nothing i ran a virus scan and it found a virus unable to be removed named WORM/Alcra.B. Any help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

Clearly you are infected. It is the infection itself that has installed it's wallpaper on your desktop. They are trying to sell you a piece of software that they claim will remove their own infection, and yet it won't.

Have you installed any anti virus or anti adware type of programs lately on your computer, such as PS Guard or any others? Some of these will infect your computer like you describe.

Depending on your level of expertise:

There is a forum here at Bleeping Computer for self help, you can find it HERE.

Or, for help with removing your infection I would now like to refer you to the Highjack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com.

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within.

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait for a response. It can sometimes take a few days.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Try this:

Move your mouse cursor to the very top of the screen. Right-click and choose Properties. Click the Desktop tab and then the Web tab. You should find the source of your "desktop" in there. The reason you can't change it is because it's actually an extra desktop item that's taking up the entire desktop, except for a very fine line at the top. There should probably be nothing in there except an entry titled "My Current Homepage" and that should be unchecked. You can highlight an entry and delete it if it's something that you don't want. Even if the malware that caused this thing is removed, the html "desktop" might be left behind.

#4 Darkraider

Darkraider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

Try this:

Move your mouse cursor to the very top of the screen. Right-click and choose Properties. Click the Desktop tab and then the Web tab. You should find the source of your "desktop" in there. The reason you can't change it is because it's actually an extra desktop item that's taking up the entire desktop, except for a very fine line at the top. There should probably be nothing in there except an entry titled "My Current Homepage" and that should be unchecked. You can highlight an entry and delete it if it's something that you don't want. Even if the malware that caused this thing is removed, the html "desktop" might be left behind.

this one didnt work.... im in the process of doing the first suggestion right now. id like to thank you both for your help

#5 Darkraider

Darkraider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:34 AM

so before i finished the preparation guide i found the proplem thanks for your help and sorry for double posting (dent know if you guys get angry here about it) i had around 167 spyware... no more cdcrack sites for me

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:51 AM

so before i finished the preparation guide i found the proplem

Excellent! Good job! Yes, there is good advice in the preparation and like what happened to you, sometimes that is enough to cure the ills.

no more cdcrack sites for me

Any site that requires you to install some software in order to visit it is not worth it, IMHO. Pretty much ANYTHING found for free on the internet is suspect. You have to question people's motives.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 02 January 2006 - 07:53 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users