Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware hid files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fruitbat2k

Fruitbat2k

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

Hi all!
I'm a new member here even though I've used this site lots of time to fix problems. Now I have a problem that I'm not sure what to do about.
I'm running XP Prop. I had the "Windows Recovery" malware infest my computer. I followed the steps on this site to get rid of it and used unhide.exe to get my files back. The only thing I haven't done is to run the Malwarebytes full system scan. I ran the quick scan first and now I'm running the full scan now. The problem is not all my files came back. I thought I could do a System Restore to put everything back like it was, but System Restore was hidden. I found it another way and linked to to my desktop. It will not let me restore to a earlier time. I assume the restore files are hidden. After a bit of looking, I found what I'm pretty sure are the restore files. I just don't know how to use them to restore my computer. Any help would be a great!!!!

PS: I'm preying this will be a simple fix. My wife wants to use that computer since I'm going to be out of the house all day Sat.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

What does your owner's manual...or the system manufacturer's website...say about using the restore-to-factory-defaults option?

Or are you referring to the Windows System Restore function?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Fruitbat2k

Fruitbat2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

I got the computer though my companys BUY-BACK program. Didn't get any paper work with it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Well...system manufacturer and model should be visible somewhere on it, I would think :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users