Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing/external Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RytheFly

RytheFly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

I am currently running XP Home and my external usb 2.0 hard drive has not been working of late. It will register with a sound on XP, then show near the time that a USB to IDE and a Mass Storage Device have been connected. However, the hard drive does not appear by in My Computer, and the computer slows down. After turning the hard drive off when it slows down, the computer immedaitely performs all the tasks quickly. I have checked the hard drive on another XP Home computer and it does the same thing. I have reinstalled the USB and updated the drivers for the hard drive. If the hard drive is saveable, I dont care about the information on it, so is reformatting possible?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

PS. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 with 1.5 Ghz Centrino and 1.25 Gigs of Ram if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

If I understand you correctly, when you plug in the external Hard Drive (EHD) things start going slower on your computer, but when you unplug the EHD or turn it off then the computer works at normal speed? Is this correct?

If so, then I don't really see how reformatting the EHD will change things, at least not at this point. That being said, it is an easy enough operation to do, and I don't see any harm in it, as long as we are talking about reformmating the EHD and not the hard drive on your computer.

How is the EHD powered up? Do you have a power cord that plugs into the wall, or does the EHD get it's power from the USB ports? Sometimes EHDs require more power than a USB port can put out, sometimes requiring two USB cords to be plugged in together (if this is possible in your case even. If so they must be plugged in together, say within a second or two of each other).

How old is this EHD? Is it making any noises, such as squeeks or squeels? If so, then this is a sign that the EHD is going bad.

What driver are you using to install the EHD in your computer? Did a disk come with the EHD when you bought it, or did you just have to plug it into your computer, wait for a minute or so, and then it worked properly (because Windows already had the proper driver)? If you installed a driver from a disk, then I would suggest going to the manufacturers web site and see if any new driver is available. Download and use the new one, not the one on the disk.

I would think going to the manufacturers web site and see if they have experienced this problem before and what they suggest to cure it.

Just some ideas, I hope it gets you off in the right direction!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 01 January 2006 - 07:46 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users