Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message System32\drivers\ntfs.sys Corrupt or Missing After Scanning with Windows Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tjpitts10

tjpitts10

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

Computer was infected with the XP Security virus and I was able to follow the instructions on your website to remove it. The computer was working fine and I was able to get online, etc. Then I downloaded Windows Security Essentials, it automatically updated then scanned and found one virus which it removed. After rebooting as the program suggests I am getting the error message that "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\drivers\ntfs.sys and I am dead in the water. Computer will not boot in any mode.

I have tried several times to use the recovery console but the disk I am using is not the disk that came with this computer - not sure if that matters or not.

Any help is appreciated.

Had some previous help from Noviciate, but we're stuck :(

Here is a link to what's been tried so far...

My link

Edited by tjpitts10, 28 April 2011 - 06:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Well...system manufacturer and model?

If you have XP Pro installed, why do you have a CD with XP Home on it? That CD can only be used to access the XP Recovery Console if the O/S reflected on the disk differs from that installed.

I would try running the chkdsk /r command again, from the Recovery Console...after changing the boot order in the BIOS.

If chkdsk /r completes, that's OK. If there is an error message and the command stops executing...that's not good. The summary message at the end of the chkdsk /r is unimportant.

Louis

#3 tjpitts10

tjpitts10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

The infected computer was bought second hand and has xp pro on it. No windows disk came with the computer. The xp disk we have is from another computer we own that has Windows xp Home on it.

When we ran the chkdsk /r it did say it fixed an error but we still cannot boot it. I can buy a xp pro disk from Ebay but does it matter if it is sp2 or sp3 as I am not sure if the infected computer has sp2 or sp3...

Edited by tjpitts10, 28 April 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

As I previously explained...if the system has SP3, it will do you no good to try to do a repair install with a disk that reflects SP2. The net result will likely be damaged Windows files or a reversion to SP2, IMO.

If the system is not infected and you have no hardware/partition/file structure problems...a repair install should be effective.

One of the problems with any error involving a stated ntfs.sys file problem...is that it can truly be a file problem...a partition problem...a file system problem...or a hard drive problem.

Ntfs.sys missing or corrupt error message - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000876.htm

From http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm :
"0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users