Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't boot up with XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cassiearmand

cassiearmand

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

Greetings, everyone!

These last few weeks have just been one computer problem after another for me as seen by some of my prior posts. This time, my desktop seems to be at death's door. Essentially, we had an electrical storm which took out a lot of our electronics (yep, they were all plugged in a very high quality power supply, and still fried) and my main desktop's power supply got fried. While I am in the process of getting a new one, I am using a desktop computer that my mom had in the closet for about three months.

This desktop was not plugged in when the electrical storm fried all my electronics, and booted up fine when I used it the first time. I browsed the internet, used it for a few hours, and then I turned it off. When I tried turning it back on after that, however, it said:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

"If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally."

Then it gives me the options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

I have tried the last known good configuration, normally, and safemode.

When I try last known good configuration or normally, the screen goes black and nothing happens no matter how long I leave the desktop running to do its job. When I try Safe Mode, it gets stuck immediately after it scrolls down the screen and displays the various drivers activating. The last one that activates is "iomdisk.sys" before it gets frozen.

Then I tried shoving in PuppyLinux (via LiveCD) in order to access the file system to see if the data was still there. I have two disc drives, and have tried them both. One of two things ends up happening: I boot from CD, and PuppyLinux starts to load. Then the screen goes black. Alternatively, I boot from CD, PuppyLinux starts to load, and then my monitor shoots up a message that says "No signal," however the computer remains running in both cases. I have also tried two different monitors, and the same thing occurs.

I am a little at a loss as to what this could be. Anyone have any helpful hints? They would be greatly appreciated. :]

The computer is:
HP Pavilion a720n
Windows XP
AMD Athlon

Thanks a bunch in advance, folks!

Cas

Edited by cassiearmand, 28 April 2011 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

do you have another video card you can try ?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

Do you have access to a retail copy of your version of XP, eg. Home or Pro.?

If you do you can do a repair installation which will allow you to run a chkdsk /r or use the recovery console. If not, you can use the instructions below to make a bootable CD to access the recovery console.

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
* Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
* You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
* You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
* Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
* The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter. Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs. This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled. Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

As a last ditch effort you can do a system recovery. That computer should have come with a recovery disk, you could use it to restore the computer to the original state the operating system was when it was purchased. This is a destructive recovery, this means that you will lose all of the data that has been added since it was purchased.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users