Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEAD CD ROM (COMPLETLY DEAD)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wutaii1

wutaii1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

I have a gateway computer....several yeas old, but still fast. I restored the computer and when it recovered there were a few programs missing and some drivers. Well, I got that all repaired but the CD-Rom will not work at all..not even a tiny bit. At first I could still get the disks out by using a paper clip to open it manually, but now that wont even work. I have never seen such a dead CD-Rom in all my life, so what the hell should I do? I can get an external CD-Rom, but I would really like this to work if at all possible. This thing has no power and no way to make it work...but the device manager still shows that it is working properly and all the drivers are there. Is this a hardware issue, a firmware issue, a software issue, or a registry issue?

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2011 - 05:32 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

I'd assume, you need a new drive?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

If its an internal I would suggest replacing it with an internal. As Broni stated the drive is shot just replace it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

There is a motor inside all optical drives that use gears to move the disk tray in and out of the drive.

This motor is obviously shorted out and no longer functions any more, this is why the drive still reads disks but can not eject the tray.

Repairing this drive would cost you more than a new drive, that is unless you have spare parts you can get from another drive, that has a failed laser, but do not count on it fitting exactly as the original without performing some alterations first.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users