Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Hangs When I Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Acsumama

Acsumama

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

When I try to shut down my computer (Win XP Home) properly, it hangs. It gets as far as forcing CCAPP to end, but then stops with my desktop and taskbar still visible. I can move the mouse, but it won't let me do anything -- if I try to click on something, I get a message about how I can't do that because the system is shutting down. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing.

There are two situations in which I *can* shut down properly:
1) If I boot it up, then shut down right away (I usually do this after I've had to force it to shut down, in order to make sure that the forced shutdown didn't damage anything)
2) If I wasn't connected to the internet. Disconnecting my wireless connection before I shut down doesn't help, but if I was never connected (eg if I was somewhere out of range of any wireless), I can shut down just fine.

I've run the latest updated versions of Norton, AdAware, and Spybot, but they haven't fixed it. I also ran Dell's hardware diagnostics, which didn't bring up anything.

So does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

XP shutdown issues can be caused by any one of a variety of reasons. There is a great article written about XP shutdown issues that you can find HERE that can help you troubleshoot the problem.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

Here is a link in referene to ccApp.exe. It is a core element of Norton. This probably means Norton is corrupted. I also am providing a link to uninstall Norton since that is a problem in it's own right.

ccApp.exe

Uninstall Norton 2003

Uninstall Norton 2004/04/05/06

Edited by acklan, 01 January 2006 - 10:06 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Acsumama

Acsumama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

Bumping the thread to let you know I resolved the problem. It turns out acklan was on the right track -- after much fiddling and a couple system restores, I determined that the problem was something in the last set of updates to Norton. So I ditched Norton and installed Avast, and everything seems to be running fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users