Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLow computer & Services Start-ups all messed up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I did not know where to put this topic at. The problem I am having is my computer is very slow on initial start-up and also when on the internet at times My computer will freeze up for a few seconds to a couple minutes no matter what browser I am using.

Under "administrative tools" in the Control Panel, I checked the Services. A lot of the services start up type were set to: Manual. The last time I checked, which was a while ago, most of them were either Automatic or Automatic (Delayed). Could this be some of the cause for the Slow Start up? If so How do I find out which way they are supposed to be set? I would like to find out what the services are supposed to be set at anyway, is there a list that shows what they are supposed to be set at?

Also, I ran an "Autorun" check, and found 15 "file not found". Could this also be some of the cause for the slow Start up and some of the Internet and Browser Problems I am experiencing? If so hhow do I correct those?

Most of my programs are up to date if not already up to date.

If need be, I can provide screenshots of the Services and what the start up types are currently set at.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

Any item reflected as "file not found" can be deleted in Autoruns.

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/vista-default-services-settings/b61a8a66-1138-4452-8010-964b86cfc36b

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/registry.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/2009/05/31/black-vipers-windows-vista-service-pack-2-service-configurations/

Louis

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

Hello hamluis,

I will check those links out and thanks for the info about Autoruns.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

Easily done :).

Louis

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hello everyone,

Where can I look for the Services that were not listed on those sites, but are found on my computer?

Some of them are anti-malware programs, Driver/software/program Up-daters, Dell's computer/printer and a couple are for Microsoft's programs. I searched for them on: www.blackviper.com but did not find anything related to those services. I would like to know what to have the settings at to optimize start-up and what is best for my computer.

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:55 AM

Google.

Louis

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thanks hamluis!

I figured that is what the answer would be! :thumbup2: That is how I found out the one service was one of the Dell's. I guess I have to do a little more searching to see what the exact settings should be. The site that I was on, only just said: "If you have a Dell computer, then leave that service activated, no not disable it or delete it." It did not say what the settings should be. Guess I will have to search a little deeper for the answer I seek! :busy: :crazy: :wacko: :hysterical:

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users