Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Recovery Virus - need help on 2 items

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 eryeal

eryeal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

So I was one of the lucky ones to also get this virus as of last night. I have followed all removal instructions (a couple of times actually), and the virus I believe has been wiped off the system. However, I am left with two side effects of this virus that I've spent all day today trying to fix to no avail:

1. My USB mouse no longer works. In the Device Manager, there is an error exclamation point next to the HID-Compliant Mouse. I've done everything I can to get it fixed - uninstalled drivers and rebooted several times, uninstall drivers and install Logitech drivers several times, tried different USB mouse .. A PS2 mouse works. But the USB's don't. I've scoured the internet for similar problems, but can't find a fix except to format and re-install Windows. The only "clue" is that if I start up Window repair upon boot-up, that is the ONLY place the mouse works. It doesn't work in Safe Mode or in any other mode, except Repair Windows. Oh, yeah, I've also tried to repair windows. Nothing works.

2. Shortcuts and start-menu shortcuts/folders are blank/empty. The programs are still on the computer and accessible (ie not hidden). I can start them by doing it manually. Is there any fix for this by chance? Or would one have to go shortcut by shortcut and reprogram them to point to the program? Currently a majority of my Start Menu program folders point to the directory of: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (which just contains empty folders). I'm not sure if this is the default location for start menu programs/folders or not, or if the virus deleted all the information, or if the virus reprogrammed the shortcuts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm getting ever so close to formatting and reinstalling Windows, and I really really don't want to do this as I have a ton of installed programs.

Also note that the virus deleted all the Windows Recovery Files, so I cannot do a System Restore at all.

Edited by Budapest, 28 April 2011 - 06:19 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users