Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

I got the upgrade in update manager this morning, so I started the long process of running it.

Ran fine until...... in the installing the upgrades section, it hung with 3 minutes remaining ( Configuring udisks), and has been that way over 2 hours. I'm posting from my back-up machine so as not to disturb it. Also, the cap lock and scroll lock keys are flashing on my keyboard, which indicates an error to me. I'm just going to leave it at that point until I get some ideas.

I did back up any info I didn't want to lose, including my Thunderbird folders just in case something went wrong. I did Google a bit about this, but didn't find anything. Any ideas?

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

I tried updating a work computer to 11.04 today, and it first made me go to 10.10. It's been installing 10.10 for at least three hours now. I guess this is normal? Not sure how long the other computer here took to upgrade to 11.04 since my boss did that one, but I'll find out tomorrow when he's back.

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

Sorry, I just noticed you said yours was hung. Mine's just slow, so I guess different issues.

#4 ravisretcb

ravisretcb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

Yo Keith - good to "see" you again. I'm wondering how your system is setup as to drives. Are you dual booting with another, separate hard drive connected, or is there an USB drive connected? If so, can you shut down, disconnect those drives, then boot up and resume the upgrade? If not, you might be able to download the .iso and install from that. You should be offered the option of a clean install, install along the current installation, or upgrade the existing install.

Good luck; post back if you find a solution!

#5 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:30 AM

Also, the cap lock and scroll lock keys are flashing on my keyboard

Usually an indication of a kernel panic

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hey Ravis, I have a single internal 160GB HDD with Ubuntu 10.10 on a 40 GB partition, and Mint 10 on another 40GB partition.

Ramchu - I did some reading about kernel panic, way over my head so I won't mess with that any.

I finally turned my computer off last night and when I tried to restart this morning, the boot process got to the part where you select the system you want to boot, at that point the screen went black with the message - input not supported. I popped in a live cd to run Gparted and both partitions appeared to be intact. Next I burned a live Ubuntu 11.04 cd ( on another computer ) and installed it on a third partition on my troubled machine. It boots directly to that partition now, still no option to boot to my 10.10 or Mint partition. That did give me a chance to play around with 11.04 and I like it.

So my plan now is to pop in my 11.04 live cd and give it the entire disc space to get a fresh start.

Thanks for everyones input.

#7 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

A bit late now but .... as you've found out , so did I with previous releases. Upgrades can go belly-up, I now always do a fresh install - I have all my docs, pics, etc on a separate partition on the hard drive so I don't have to retain anything from the version I'm replacing.

#8 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Is there a way to force the 11.04 update? I'm now trying to update on my home PC, but when I go to Update Manager and click Check it keeps telling me my system is up to date.

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Have you tried running these commands in a terminal?

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

#10 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

Excellent idea about a seperate partition Richard. Which brings to mind a question - if you have both a Windows and Linux partition on your HDD, would formatting the "storage" partition as Fat32 make all the information on it accessible to either OS?

#11 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

keith i had no problem when fine when i upgraded. the servers could have been overloaded
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

if you have both a Windows and Linux partition on your HDD, would formatting the "storage" partition as Fat32 make all the information on it accessible to either OS?

yes that works, I have it set up that way. the newer versions (10,11) also support read/write to NTFS

#13 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

and dont forget after you upgrade use the following command from the terminal to check for updates sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
that way you will never get a broken package
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#14 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the confirmation and information on that caperdog.

rburkartjo - Hi Ray, good to see you over here. I really think my failed upgrade was due to internet connection problems on my end - it kept going off all day - but I'm not sure. When it froze with 3 minutes to go I left it alone for about 3 hours, but nothing. Thanks for the reminder on the "safe-upgrade" command, I had forgotten about that.

#15 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

I didn't have the option in upgrade settings checked off. Downloading 10.10 first. This took forever at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users