Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My contact tells me that good SEO costs a lot of money

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

Hi all,
I've been trying to find ways to work on getting some good SEO for my web site (the one shown in my signature). I need to figure what the cheapest method would be though since there is SEO built into the CMS itself, though i don't know how to use it. I have no idea what meta descriptions or profiles are when it comes to that. Could somebody explain? Thanks. And is it true that helping boost your site in searches costs anywhere from 1000 to 20000 dollars per month? That's what this guy told me. And it's confusing, because i've heard from folks with MCSE certifications that you can get SEO for free.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

i would start here: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35291

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

SEO stands for search engine optimization. There are people that claim that they can enhance the status of your website (for a fee). Paying someone to do so is a waste of money; if one has good content and frequent visitors, it all takes care of itself. If you are going to hire someone to help you, make them sign a guarantee that they will improve your search engine visibility (they won't).

There are some firms that actually know what they are doing; you can't afford them. Sorry if I sound harsh, but we ban spammers here all the time that advertise SEO capabilities. They are about as trustworthy as building inspectors.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

@Groovicus, Thanks! You basically just saved my day. I'm trying to do my best to avoid hiring someone. That's the whole point of posting this. So do you think that following web master tools on various search engines will be enough along with the options provided in the Mojo Portal CMS itself? It looks like Google has a lot of things, (thank you Cryptodan). Bing however, not so much. It seems that every time I sign in there to post my sitemap, it basically just shows a shattered page, in that the options disappear. I don't know if that's just an example of Microsoft needing to get their act together or what, but I don't like it. And if somebody could explain to me what meta descriptions and profiles are in reference to SEO, I'd love that, since Mojo portal prompts for those in it's SEO selection page under the admin menu. And I just have to give a big thank you to you guys for helping me get ahead in this! And one more thing. My site's in my signature, and I've noticed a couple of unidentifiable new members who have joined us in 2011, yet they never check in. Do you think that I'm getting hits from my signature at all, or do you think that those are perhaps audomated signups since I don't have any way to protect against potential stuff like that since I'm trying to be fair to all user's needs, including those who can't see? Thanks guys.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:25 AM

Paid SEO can be good SEO to redesign your site for better search engine visibility. But sometimes they use black hat SEO, like posting your links on thousands of domains (that they own). This can boost your google rank for a while but after some time Google detects this. There is a Google Webmaster channel on YouTube, they give excellent advice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleWebmasterHelp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users