Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C-Drive all of a sudden almost full??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gracey2007

gracey2007

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi all,

So this past weekend, I noticed that my C-drive is almost full. There's only 10 GB left out of 141 GB. I have no idea how all that space is occupied. I have approx 90 GB in my user files (music, videos, pics, etc.). I don't have that many programs on my comp since I switched to Windows 7 last year and have been trying to keep it light so it can run faster. Do you guys have any idea how all this space is getting used? Or is it reasonable?

Thanks,
Grace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

If you have system restore enabled that's probably the culprit. You can use treesize to check (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/). Also check your temp folder.

#3 gracey2007

gracey2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Alright, thanks!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Sure thing

#5 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Also try Privacy Mantra. Whilst there's little doubt that System Restore is a culprit - which it can be - cleaning out temporary internet files and the like will also keep your disk useage down if you do use the internet a lot. It's handy and it's worth having.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

Well...if you have 90GB in My Docs, My Music, etc...you clearly need to stop saving/storing such files to your C: partition.

There is no benefit at all...to storing such files on the Windows partition.

Louis

#7 S Bradshaw

S Bradshaw

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

if most of the data is in the folder of your profile (My Documents, Music, etc) then it will most likely not be System Restore or any other Windows related feature/application. The System Restore is stored in a hidden folder directory on the C drive. Do you listen to audio discs in Windows Media player (WMP)? If so, WMP may be set to rip every audio disc that you play. Also, your ITunes library is stored in your Music folder so if your music collection is huge then your folder will be also. Even with ITunes, do you purchase videos at all?- this will also take up space in your personal folders. Also, any picture applications (such as Picasa) store their picture libraries in a user's personal folders.
These are only possibilities but to really find out what folders are taking up the space download and install a program called Windirstat. Just search it on Google (I am not sure if I can post links on here). Once installed and opened you need to select only the C drive and do a scan. It will scan the drive and give you a breakdown of every single folder on the drive and the size of the folder and files.
This will definitely answer your question- I use this all of the time

If you are truly using the full 140GB, that really isn't enough space for people these days. If you do not already have one, you may want to see into getting a second drive (maybe external) to save your media and also to use for backing up your important data.

Edited by S Bradshaw, 02 May 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

if most of the data is in the folder of your profile (My Documents, Music, etc) then it will most likely not be System Restore or any other Windows related feature/application. The System Restore is stored in a hidden folder directory on the C drive.

I don't understand what this is supposed to mean, but I think we've got it straightened out already.

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

I don't have that many programs on my comp since I switched to Windows 7 last year

when you switched ,did the win7 install create a c:\windows.old folder with old files in it ,if so you should be able to delete that

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users