Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search results in Google Images redirect to ad sites

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crimsiris

crimsiris

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

I'm using a MCP with 2.3 GHz, OS Version 10.6.6 and running on Safari browser. The machine is new; today is only the second day i am using it. I have only installed 3 programs so far: Netbeans IDE 6.8, VLC media player and Adobe Flash Player. However, I noticed that when I would select some image results from a Google Image search, I am redirected to a different website. The image would load for a moment than I am redirected to an ad site.

Among them, this URL: (WARNING! FOR SKIMMERS, DO NOT CLICK/ACCESS THE PROCEEDING URL) www.enterfactory.com

I've been looking for some solutions in the net and I've already tried checking the DNS. I've also tried the solution detailed in:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2128387_remove-osxrspluga-trojan-horse-mac.html

but it seems that I have no Trojan (if the solution is to be trusted). Likewise, i have check the /etc/hosts file and it seems to be ok.

So, I am at a loss. I will try to see if this also happens if I am connected to a different network and verify if it's a router issue, after all. In the meantime, any thoughts?

Edited by crimsiris, 28 April 2011 - 10:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

Could be the images were the problem. Like hiding malware.
Could also be something piggybacked on your downloads. Like NetBeans. I searched for NetBeans and their official site
is offering 7.0 and since you have 6.8 you likely did not download from the home page.
Welcome to NetBeans

If you will, post the link to the problem image.

Edited by buddy215, 28 April 2011 - 12:17 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Some sites do that with google images, they will add a redirect scipt to the site then when it comes up in the background then it redirects to an ad farm site.

Edited by computerxpds, 28 April 2011 - 04:05 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 crimsiris

crimsiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

Could be the images were the problem. Like hiding malware.
Could also be something piggybacked on your downloads. Like NetBeans. I searched for NetBeans and their official site
is offering 7.0 and since you have 6.8 you likely did not download from the home page.
Welcome to NetBeans

If you will, post the link to the problem image.

I downloaded Netbeans 6.8 from the Netbeans site. I accessed it from the webpage for the previous 6.8 release, specifically from: http://netbeans.org/community/releases/68/

I am starting to believe that the site may be hiding malware as I tried in to access the same images in my smart phone and I was again redirected to a different website every time. The same thing happened when I accessed one of the pictures in my mother's laptop which runs on Windows XP. Her anti-virus program alerted me that it blocked an attempt to attack the computer though when it scanned the website where I was redirected, it concluded that it was clean.

Anyway, the URL to the problem image is:
- plus2city.com -- this is the URL that is displayed in the page where all the search results are aggregated. But the actual URL of the image is:
- upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons . The actual URL is longer than that. It will redirect you to Bing today :P
- doublebrand.pl - this is the other URL in question. Again this is the URL displayed in the aggregated search result page.
- 4.bp.blogspot.com Again the actual URL is longer and you will be redirected to Bing.. today.

#5 crimsiris

crimsiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

Some sites do that with google images, they will add a redirect scipt to the site then when it comes up in the background then it redirects to an ad farm site.

Hmm.. do these redirect scripts redirect users to just one consistent URL only or is it possible to redirect the user to a different URL at times or sometimes, not at all (as in the user is not redirected at all)?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yes, if it is a different image that was from the same site then theoretically you would be redirected to the same site depending on the redirect algorithm they use. If it is a different image on a different site and it redirects to the same site the first image did then that would indicate something with the browser.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 crimsiris

crimsiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yes, if it is a different image that was from the same site then theoretically you would be redirected to the same site depending on the redirect algorithm they use. If it is a different image on a different site and it redirects to the same site the first image did then that would indicate something with the browser.

hmmm.. one of the images would redirect to one of 4 sites. The other image in question (there are two that redirect me to a different URL) also redirect me to one of latter 4 URLS. Most of the time, both images would redirect me to the same URL.

I tried this with Safari, Google Chrome and IE (the latest one). It is only in Safari and Chrome that this is consistent (both these browsers are in my MBP). Then again, the machine wherein I tried it in IE runs on Windows XP and has Norton Security (the paid version) installed in it. Norton may have blocked the script or something.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

What is the image so i can test it.
animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 crimsiris

crimsiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

What is the image so i can test it.

The images are:
- this
- and, this

Pardon the photos of mouths and teeth. My dad had me search something medically related and an image search to his query was what began all this.

On another note, I am starting to believe(and quite strongly too) that the issue is with sites hosting the said images and/or Google Images.

Edited by crimsiris, 28 April 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

crimsiris---The short answer is that no malware installed on your computer is causing the redirection to
the bing image site. I get the same as you and I'm using Firefox and Ubuntu.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 crimsiris

crimsiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

crimsiris---The short answer is that no malware installed on your computer is causing the redirection to
the bing image site. I get the same as you and I'm using Firefox and Ubuntu.

hi! thank you! i've sorta concluded that yesterday afternoon but thank you all the same for reinforcing it :P

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

No problem. It was a learning experience for both of us.
I would imagine Google would be upset to learn their users are being redirected to Bing.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

I've noticed that many of the initial result in a google search are redirects. I get around it by copying and pasting the link that shows UNDERNEATH the live link, below the short description/summary of the result.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users