Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer "Greying Out"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PatientUser

PatientUser

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hello, first post to this site. I have a problem that's got me pulling my hair out. My computer with Vista Home Premium (32 bit) freezes occasionally. It just stops for no apparent reason and the screen freezes. Further mouse clicks just cause the screen to grey over. I can't even use the three-finger-salute to call up Task Manager to check processes and applications or even re-boot. All re-boots in this state have to be hard boots.

I have run virus scans from AVG, and Spybot S&D (regular surveillance from these two), Malwarebytes as well TrendMicro's online scanner. Nothing comes up, they all say I'm clean. I also ran a deep rootkit scan from GMER. I've also run a HDD scan and memory scan (both Windows, the latter from the Vista CD). I've gone through my Start and Processes many times but can't seem to find anything that's causing the problem. I have viewed the HiJackThis log but nothing stands out for me.

The computer can run for hours without a hitch. I can be playing my MMO game, or my son can play on a game and nothing happens. Or Firefox can be used for a couple of hours. However, it seems that when applications are changed over, the freezing starts. Here is what happened just prior to freezing today. I'll truncate the log files for clarity.

Log Name: Application
Source: VSS
Date: 28/04/2011 7:25:48 AM
Event ID: 8194
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Source: System Restore
Date: 28/04/2011 7:28:17 AM
Event ID: 8194
Description:
Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgupd.exe /session=-1 /source=inet /pri=4 /log=1 /sched=3 /aspam=0 /path="\" /url="" /dns=-1 /updver=891 /SU=0 /SL=semiupdate_log.xml; Description = Avg Update).

Source: Desktop Window Manager
Date: 28/04/2011 7:28:34 AM
Event ID: 9010
A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Stronghold Crusader.exe)

Source: Desktop Window Manager
Date: 28/04/2011 7:28:34 AM
Event ID: 9013
The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application

At this point the computer has frozen and must be hard-booted. So after one son was finished his game, the other tried to start his (Crusader.exe) and the computer froze. It makes no difference which game is started or stopped or whether it is browser to game or game to browser.

From the System Log:

Log Name: System
Source: Win32k
Date: 28/04/2011 7:25:35 AM
Event ID: 245
Application popcapgame1.exe locked the primary surface 295004 time(s).

popcapgame1.exe is for the Plants vs. Zombies game that was running prior to starting the game that froze. This game was installed much after the problems arose so I don't think this is the problem. And the other game has been installed for years without any problems.

I'm wondering if it's not an Indexing problem. The HDD seems to work hard. Overall the computer seems slower though I can't define that (I tried to run a 3DMark06 today since I have an old score with the same setup, but I couldn't read the log because the software is obsolete. However, everything seemed to run ok). It seems slow on bootup (I have checked the Start menu and I keep Desktop clutter to a minimum)

The only other incident was that I had to replace the graphics card due to a popped capacitor. The old graphics card ran fine, but I replaced it with an identical model (I had two bought for an SLI application) and I updated the drivers anyway. I was hoping the graphics card was the problem but that doesn't seem to be the case. I did clean the computer and all fans are working. PCWizard shows everything running below 40 C. I lost the Windows Firewall late last year, corrupted file or something and no matter what I tired from various sources online, I couldn't get it to work. I had to resort to 3rd party FireWall: ZoneAlarm. Up to this point there hasn't been any problems with that either.

I'm going to attach the HJT log in case there is something there. Thanks for checking it out.

EDIT: I have removed HJT log, since HJT is a malware log not allowed to be posted in any forum other than the proper forum for Malware Removal Logs. System freezes occur for any number of reasons which are not related to malware and on the face of what is reported above, there seems no evidence of malware. I suggest that you take a read of the following ~ Hamluis.Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Rob

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2011 - 08:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PatientUser

PatientUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

Still no resolution to this.
1. I was wondering if I should turn the indexing off to see if that is an issue. So how do you do it?
2. Also, is there a program I can use to log incidents so I can pinpoint where this failure is coming from.
3. How does task manager get disabled?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users