Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway 5310s-upgrade to win7-want aero

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

hi,

i just recently boosted my gateway 5310s computer from 1gb (512x2 sticks in dual channel mode) to 3gb (added 1gb x 2 sticks also in dual channel mode). i think i am ready for windows7 but according to the accessment tool, my graphics capability isn't adequate to run aero. i believe the assessment, so i am looking for a video card.

i am 99% certain that this is my motherboard. i have compared them and they look exactly the same.

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4GWAUGSBURG

there is a pciX1 slot, and i have heard that pciX1 is better than pci, but pciX1 is quite a bit more expensive than pci. what i am looking for, is someone with expertise to give me recommendations on video cards that are SURE to allow me to use aero on this computer. though i would like to save money, the worst possible scenario would be for me to purchase a card and still not be able to use aero.
my favorite sites to make purchases are tigerdirect or newegg, but other suggestions are welcome.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

Hello cryptodan,

here's the speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WcZVtmdIjxiPMTVqUMxwwbw

thanks

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

There are ways to force aero without the $$ outlay.

Be aware it is not the preferred way and it does involve editing the registry.
So of course all applicable warnings about backing up the registry before attempting it apply.

Erunt registry back-up.
Force activation of Aero in Windows 7

Be aware. This may slow down less hardware capable PCs.

#5 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hello ThunderZ,

erunt is one of the best programs out there. i have actually used it in desperation and it saved my skin. i try to have it on all my computers, but somehow i forgot to put it on this one. really glad for the reminder. everyone should use erunt (if they have windows, anyway).

i know that registry editing is very much frowned upon here at bleepingcomputer, and i agree with that policy. a newbie could trash his OS by simply following the advise of another member without this policy, but i can honestly say that i have very very little to lose if this went bad. this hard drive has no important data on it (it's a fresh install), and i have an install disc. what i am considering is this: if i made these configuration changes, could i reverse my changes if i was unhappy with the results?
in either case, however, i still want to listen to what other members have to say before i act. i will check out the info you have provided. it sounds like an interesting procedure.

thanks again.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

BC does not necessarily frown on registry editing.

When done properly with caution and for the right reasons it can rescue an otherwise unstable\damaged OS.
It is the use of registry cleaners that is very frowned upon here.

Regediting is also a power User`s best Friend. :P

The changes can be reversed.
I was running Win7 with aero on a single core 1.7Ghz AMD, 2Gig of RAM and only the on board graphics card which had a massive 64MB of RAM.

No noticeable performance hit. Perhaps just a bit slower on initial start-up. Only a second or two.

#7 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

ThunderZ,

since cryptodan replied to my topic first, i felt it was a matter of courtesy to allow him to follow-up if he was going to. since he hasn't, i now feel that it's time to go with your recommendation. i hope i haven't offended either you or cryptodan, and i am going to install (or at least, attempt to) the windows7 upgrade over xp tonight.

i hope i still have you available for expertise if any problems arise, and i do appreciate it.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

I am sorry if I hadn't replied back to your post. School and work and family life. I personally would not recommend running Windows Aero on a machine with integrated graphics or unless it was a dedicated gpu like nVidia or AMD.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

No offense taken on my part.

There is usually more then one way to get some where.
BC is about presenting the possible options. Then letting the End User sort out what works best for them.

#10 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hello cryptodan,

"I am sorry if I hadn't replied back to your post. School and work and family life."
i totally understand. i finally got a day off today myself. that's why i'm doing this tonight. nobody can overlook the fact that you have helped thousands of people here. my previous remark was meant to show respect and at the same time take advantage of help being offered by ThunderZ.

"I personally would not recommend running Windows Aero on a machine with integrated graphics or unless it was a dedicated gpu like nVidia or AMD."
i understand, but i don't have anything to lose by trying ThunderZ's recommendation. i could save a few $'s.
if the computer proves to be a dog after trying this, I'll have to get a video card. i appreciate the advise and i realize that you can't get silk from a sows ear. :)

if you would like to recommend a video card i am still open to suggestions. as i mentioned earlier i like tigerdirect or newegg if possible.
thanks.

#11 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hello ThunderZ,

i am going to go with your recommendation tonight. it all starts with the upgrade disk and COA. i'm kind of nervous about this.
thanks again.

#12 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

ThunderZ,

i'm back and as i'm sure you have noticed, i had a little trouble, but i have got past it.
i have attempted the 'regedit/cmd-aero' procedure. here's what has happened:

i edited the registry and have a screenshot. it looks correct.
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1849/regeditaero.jpg

i attempted the needed commands but was denied. i don't think i'm administrator.
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2650/cmddenied.jpg

you may not agree with this, but i choose to ALWAYS compute as administrator. can you tell me how i can always compute as administrator?
also, if you have any links, tutorials, or websites dedicated to post-install win7 tasks/setup, that would be great.
thanks.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

Odd.

Have very little time on a 7 PC. But have run into 0 problems forcing aero or running as Admin.
I`ll probably catch my share of grief too but I always run as Admin myself.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

In Windows there is only one Administrator Account, all other accounts are accounts with admin rights. With windows there are somethings only the true administrator can do.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

That wasn't an elevated command prompt.

Also, for what it's worth, I ran Windows 7 on my netbook for over a year (with Aero turned on) with no troubles.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 06 May 2011 - 12:17 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users