Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD drive has completely disappeared

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:15 AM

I have an Acer laptop (Vista) and when I put a cd in, nothing happened. I looked in My computer and the cd icon has disappeared. Also there is no devise in Devise Manager.

What can I do to get it back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

For now, you can try this (be careful when editing the registry):

START - RUN - regedit
Navigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-clickUpperFilters, and then click Delete.
In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-clickLowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Exit regedit and reboot

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I have done what you said, and deleted both filters - restarted - and still nothing in My computer and nothing happens when a cd is inserted.apart from a few whirls. When I started ITunes, a box came up saying something like itunes couldnt recognise the cd drive.

Is there anything else I can do?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

Thats the problem. Nothing. i havent had a virus and I am pretty much protected with a good firewall and antivirus. I did update iTunes some time ago. The thing is, I dont use the cd drive very often, so I dont know exactly when it disapeared. Its not even listed in Devise Manager.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

Did this happen right after you updated itunes?

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:35 AM

Not really sure as the cd drive is only used for transferring cds onto itunes. ITunes isnt recognizing the cd drive, and so i began looking in my computer and devise manager and saw nothing there at all.

Updating itunes is the only thing that I have done I think, before the cd drive disappeared.

I saw an article on the possibility of downloading Daemon tools to work as a fake cd drive. Have you heard of that and should I give it a try?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:40 AM

Before you do anything, try uninstalling iTunes (or reverting to an earlier version). I've seen numerous instances where iTunes will "break" certain features, including optical drives. There are some fixes out there, but first let's see if that's the cause. You can create an image of your drive before doing anything so you can always return it to its current state easily if you like (Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, etc).

#9 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

If I uninstall itunes, wont I lose everything? And how do I create an image of everything? Sorry, I dont know a great deal about these things. Thanks for your patience so far.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Disk imaging software creates a snapshot of your partition or drive. You can then restore that image in full or extract files or folders if you prefer. It is the best way to backup your system. I suggest imaging to a secondary hard drive once a week, keeping the 2 or 3 most recent images. Always set the option to verify the image when it is created (it takes longer but insures a valid image). The best such software is Acronis True Image, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

#11 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

I have uninstalled itunes and the cd drive is still not there.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:45 AM

Okay. Please make sure the optical drive is the first device in the bios boot order. Then insert a BOOTABLE disk in the drive and reboot. Does the system see the drive at boot?

#13 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

Im not sure what this means. I have a back up cd which I made when we first had the laptop. Would that be the disc I put in and restart with? what will happen when its in? I dont want it to start overwriting anything.

Incidentally, I tried Microsofts Fix it for the cd and it said it couldnt find the cd drive.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:05 AM

No. You need a cd that is bootable (such as an original OS disc or a recovery disc from Acronis True Image, etc). If the cd is the first device in the boot order, the system should see it at boot and then boot to the bootable cd. If it doesn't work, then you know the drive is dead. If it does work you know the problem lies within the OS.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

Have you rebooted your computer to see if it would find the drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users