Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shutdown problem with constant fan operation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_W

Chris_W

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:40 AM

Hi All,

I have an HP G62 notebook running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS. For a while now the fan runs continuously which it didn't do when new. When I shut the computer down (start > shutdown) the laptop seems to go through the normal procedure, the screen eventually goes blank but the light on the power button remains illuminated and the fan continues to run. I have to press and hold the power button to shut the laptop down.

Now, I have noticed in Device Manager that the Intel Management Engine Interface is showing a code 10 error: device cannot start. I have tried to update the driver from the Intel website but the laptop tells me that the currently installed driver is the latest available version despite it appearing to be an older driver than the one I am trying to replace it with. I have no idea if this is related to my fan and shut down problems or requires a seperate thread?

I'm new to this so forgive me if I have failed to provide sufficient information! Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

have you checked with HP(they have online chat) ? how old ? warranty ?

#3 SoMeAm

SoMeAm

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi Chris
Caperdog is right on, if your unit is under warranty check w/ hp chat

CHAT SUPPORT FOR HP PRODUCTS
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/chat_1.html?jumpid=hpr_R1002_USEN

So/Me/Am
Cheron

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

a g62 is close to 2 yrs old ,hp support is almost the worse there is,they want 39.95 just to talk them

Edited by caperjac, 28 April 2011 - 06:04 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

hi jac, good to see you. 40 bucks to talk to them ? i'll give it a try.

later..................

Ha, i didn't get very far. need serial number and it has to be under warranty to use the chat.

Edited by caperdog, 28 April 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

Ha, i didn't get very far. need serial number and it has to be under warranty to use the chat.

oh yeah i meant to mention that ,been there tried that ,i have a dead[motherboard] hp g62 under my computer desk ,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 Chris_W

Chris_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:19 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. The laptop should still be under warranty, so I will contact HP support as suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users