Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my background...Fearing what else i'm not noticing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 patterst

patterst

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

I'm fairly new to this game, but my computer has been a little skiddish lately. Basically, I'm running XP Media Center addition, walked away from my computer while watching an episode of House on Hulu, came back to find my desktop background had shifted to a bluegray matte, rather than my custome photo. Makes me worry what else is going wrong. Please help, will answer as many questions as I can to aleviate this problem.

Edited by boopme, 28 April 2011 - 07:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hello and welcome.
Click Ctrl + Alt + Del to get the task manager up.
On the 'Processes' tab find "explorer.exe" and end that process.
Your desktop will go away.
Click on the 'Applications' tab and click New Task.
Enter explorer.exe as the task to start.
Your desktop will then come back.
Now try to launch IE again.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 patterst

patterst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

Followed your instructions, terminated explorer.exe process. Background image reappeared. Executed explorer.exe as new task in applications tab, returned to square one, grey matte background and all. Ran MbAM, nothing to delete; logfile reads as follows:

"Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6463

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3, v.3311
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

4/28/2011 10:07:39 AM
mbam-log-2011-04-28 (10-07-39).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 186945
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)"

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

I am thinking it may be the monitor or video card. Doesn't appear to be malware. you can try SFC, but I think you need to ask again XP forum.

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 patterst

patterst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

I tried to do the SFC, and as you suggested, it prompted me for my installation CD. However, the CD that I have is for what my computer came with, XP Media Center 2005, and the prompt calls for XP Professional with SP3. The link directed me to a site which should let me slipstream SP2, but when I click the link, the site that pops up displays nothing...

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

I am going to move this to XP and see if they can help you along.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

To run sfc /scannow or do a repair install...the CD used must contain the same SP as your system reflects. If SP3 is installed on the system, the CD must be slipstreamed to include SP3.

Louis

If the CD used is not a MS Genuine XP CD, but is a reoovery/restore CD...it won't work.

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

XP Media Center is an offspring of XP Pro, that's why "sfc" asks for XP Pro CD.
The problem is, that XP Media Center won't allow it to slipstream any service pack.
That issue is very particular just to XP Media Center edition.
So, unless you obtain XP Media Center CD with SP3 already on it, you won't be able to use "sfc" successfully.
The other option would be to uninstall all service packs and then you should be able to use straight XP Media Center CD, if you have one.

There is another option, which may/may not work....

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 patterst

patterst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Tried all that, still asking for XP SP3 CD...

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

What exactly did you try?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

FWIW: Just a note...some users with Media Center PCs (no media) have reported being able to use the XP Pro CD to make repairs to their system files. http://www.ehow.com/how_7215378_repair-media-center-xp-pro.html .

Louis

#12 patterst

patterst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

So far, I have tried to run regedit, navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup, followed to sourcepath, and changed it to c:. Restarted computer, and tried sfc /scannow, but still gave me the same issues. I also tried to uninstall service packs to be able to use the cd i have, however, i wasn't given the option to remove it in the add or remove programs control panel option. As of now, still have a lack of background...

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

See here how to uninstall SP3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users