Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting account

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gamma67

gamma67

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hello,
I am having problems deleting an account on my computer. Im running windows xp. When i click on delete..it freezes up and wont respond. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

I am having problems deleting an account on my computer. Im running windows xp

Hi gamma67

Why do you want to delete this account , is there a problem with it you are you just wanting it gone ? ?

Thank you

#3 gamma67

gamma67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

no..no problem with it. Its my daughters account on my computer and she no longer uses it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Exactly what steps are you taking when you attempt to delete the user account?

Louis

#5 gamma67

gamma67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

go into control panel...then user accounts...then click on the account to be deleted...then click on delete files..then when i click on delete after all that...it freezes

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:10 AM

Is the account you're trying to delete password protected and/or still logged on? You can not delete an account for a user that is currently logged on.

You can try to delete from Command Prompt, type the following:
To delete a user on a standalone machine: net user username /delete
To delete a user from domain: net user username /delete /domain
Where username= the account you're trying to delete.

Net User Documentation: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/net_user.mspx?mfr=true

After reboot you can delete the [UserAccountName] folder from "c:\documents and settings" if you do not need any files from that folder. If you get an Access Denied message when deleting [UserAccountName] folder from "c:\documents and settings" read the following KB to take ownership of the folder.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Edit to add:
Just stumbled across these M$ articles though I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of the tools as I've never used them:
User Profile Deletion Utility http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=901A9B95-6063-4462-8150-360394E98E1E&displaylang=en
User Profile Deletion Utility http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.05.utility.aspx

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 April 2011 - 04:43 AM.

#7 gamma67

gamma67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

im confused..i dont know how to do any of this. How do i start the command prompt?

The account is password protected. I know the password.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

SELF-DELETED message previously posted here. Tested in Virtual Machine--doesn't work. :blink: Please disregard previous instructions re: Command Prompt.
Very sorry, hope you or someone else can get this sorted out.

"Thug"

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 April 2011 - 03:04 PM.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

After further review... it does work, at least it did for me using a "test" account in a Virtual PC .:)

Posted Image

This doesn't give the option to delete the Documents and Settings/ Username Folders, which I was able to manually delete with no problem.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 April 2011 - 07:13 PM.

#10 Train2104

Train2104

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

im confused..i dont know how to do any of this. How do i start the command prompt?

The account is password protected. I know the password.

Does she have a lot of files? If so, delete the files manually first. (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents) If you're an admin, there shouldn't be permission issues, unless she used encryption on something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users