Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony PS2 Network security Breach

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hackers accessed personal details on 77 million users,they stole names, addresses and possibly credit card details

This is a huge data breach and the clients who have called are really upset, not just because of the data breach but it looks like Sony sat on information for as much as five days,"

Sony may face global legal scrutiny over breach

Loyal PlayStation gamers are threatening to ditch Sony Corp after it disclosed that personal information for some 77 million user accounts was stolen from its computer systems in one of the biggest-ever data breaches.

Sony gamers threaten to leave after hack

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:42 AM

If it can happen to Sony, then it can happen to any company.

If it is created by man, then it can be easily destroyed by man.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

Based from i've read and watched a group of hackers call Anonymous are responsible for this.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

They have said that they did not do this, "for once we didnt do it" was there statement to the public...

BTW you accidently put ps2 instead of PSN in the title.

Edited by computerxpds, 28 April 2011 - 05:13 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

I've been keeping abreast of this situation by going through Sony's blog, and it sounds as though the hacker or hackers only got a little bit of data.

Here's the blog if anyone's interested:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

surprisingly enough, microsoft doesnt earn the most insecure award this year. . .I will say this, ya this can happen to anyone, but seriously sony? you didnt even bother to encrypt it? DOH.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

2006-2011

My friends: Why don't you buy a new system like a PlayStation 3. You call yourself a gamer and don't even own one console, please.

I use to own consoles, but I switched solely to pc gaming eventually.

26 April 2011

My friends: WTF!!! The PSN was hacked a week ago and we're JUST NOW finding out. #%$@*%&#!!! I used my moms credit card on that, I'm dead!!!

Me: Tough break dudes. I'm safe btw, :P

Tempus Fugit

#8 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

I do have a PSN account, but I didn't enter a credit card number. Rather, the only thing I used it for was to download a freebie for preordering a game.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

http://gizmodo.com/#!5796962/geohot-i-sure-am-glad-i-dont-have-a-psn-account-about-now

I heard an idea the other day of a way to not have to use your credit card on stuff like this. Go to Wal-Mart, buy a pre-paid "gift card", and use that number to pay for stuff online. Yeah, it's not as convenient, but if that number is stolen, they won't get very far with it.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

@ KeyboardNinja NOW THAT MAKES CENTS!!! :thumbup2:

BTW, yes the word SENSE was intentionally replaced with CENTS. :P

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

Clever. :hysterical:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#12 sr8031

sr8031

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

I find Sony very negligent and not giving a sh~~ about its customers. Well, Sony and all other internet commerce sites are going to suffer big time when people get fed up and STOP odering anything on line. Would love to see the whole internet business boom collapse. Internet companies obviously cannot be trusted with personal information. Since the data breach at Sony and other companies recently, I am getting bombarded with spam but it could be worse. If my Sony Playststion was still within Best Buy's 90 day return policy, I wouldn't hesistate to return it.

Edited by sr8031, 01 May 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

SR8031,

Banks have lost hard drives with far greater details then any online sites can garner up. Also major companies have also lost laptops with personal information on it. Look up the Veterans Affairs, and Bank of America with this regard. Humas are very incapable of building programs without exploits. Also It has not hampered me from buying things online, because getting things online is a very efficient way to shop for things.

#14 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

Heh, it also seems that Sony was storing data in plaintext format. :blink:
Nosce te ipsum.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman