Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Tell If I Have Which Slot I Have For Video Cards?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zachaser

zachaser

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

My computer is an emachines T2341. I'm not sure if I have a PCI slot, AGP, or PCI Express. I'm looking to

purchase a new video card, but I can't make a decision until I know which of these I have. Any help would

be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

Can you tell us about your computer? Is it a branded (Dell, Gateway, etc.) or is it a home built system. If it is home built do you know the make and model of the motheboard? It's best to refer to the system documentation to see which of these cards your system will support.

Here is a link that should help you out. The AGP slot is usually brown in color.

http://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/details/agp.html

#3 Gato100

Gato100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

Hello... I recently purchased a new video card as well and I was unsure of which card I had.. But if you open up your computer you can check what you have on ur motherboard. On my computer, just below the brown slot it said in small letters AGP so I knew i had an AGP slot.. the white slots below that said PCI 1, PCI 2, PCI 3 (It's hard to find and the print is small). So I am assuming the rest are just PCI slots.. Maybe if you check the same on ur computer you might find out if you have PCI Express, AGP or PCI. It worked for me.

#4 zachaser

zachaser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

Enos: My computer is not home built, here is a link to it's technical specifications:

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/eMachines_T23...89.html?tag=sub

any help would be appreciated, as I have a hard time interpreting all the technical terms

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

zachaser according to this page

http://www.emachines.com/support/upgrades.html

then Click Parts and Upgrades
then EMachines parts depot link
then search, select model,you'll see available upgrades for your machine, you have an AGP upgrade option
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 zachaser

zachaser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

Thanks everybody for the advice.

boopme: if I don't have AGP right now, what do I have? I was looking to buy an nvidia or an ATI video card, something compatible with DirectX9, and I need to know what the emachines T2341 currently has with it. Again, thanks for the help.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

Your machine has integrated video,on board video. Please see the link I provided in earlier post.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:19 AM

zachaser

Integrated video just means that your computer does not have an add on card, the video is built right into the motherboard. You can still use and add on card to upgrade your video, you will just have to go into setup and disable the "onboard" video that you are using now. Since you are using an E-Machine you are best off to use their add-on cards. They are way over priced I am sure. In theory you could use an AGP card purchased anywhere but if something goes wrong with your computer E-Machines will not support you at all. I had a LOT of problems with E-Machines and their parts people when working on peoples computers.

#9 snooks

snooks

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hi, I'm new here, looking for the same answer. How can I tell if I have an AGP or PCI slot? I too, need a new video card.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

:thumbsup: snooks
Can you tell us what type of machine ( make n model ) you have....motherboard, video card ??

And when you get a chance stop by here introduce yourself and say Hi...

Edited by boopme, 17 January 2006 - 10:38 PM.

#11 snooks

snooks

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hi, well, I read a post that said that you could read PCI or AGP near the slots and I looked. There is a green slot that says AGP and 2 white slots that say PCI. I have a Dell Dimension 4600, Intel Integrated Graphics card, Pentium 4, Windows XP Home. I didn't think I could have both. Which type card should I get? I am thinking AGP. My son got the Lego Star Wars game, that is why I need to get a new card. One that supports Pixel Shading.

#12 snooks

snooks

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:51 AM

Hi, I've narrowed it down to either eVGA e-GeForce FX5500 256 MB AGP or ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB AGP 8X. Any thoughts?? It is still alittle annoying that one game(and a sad kid) makes me spend almost an added $100!

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

I personally prefer nVidia over ATI - but others will disagree.

I think that either will do for you - but if the kid gets hooked on video games you'll be upgrading again soon.

Look for hardware supporting DirectX 9.0c Generally, the extra that you'll spend for 256 mB of memory (vs 128 mB) isn't worth the cost.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users