Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser,email and shutdown freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevenbm

stevenbm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

After being on the computer for a while (time varies from a few minutes to 15-20 minutes) Firefox or IE will hang when trying to load a new page. Outlook express will hang trying to get new mail. If I try to restart or shut down the computer will hang up on shut down too. The only way out is a hard restart and then everything will work for a while again. If I just do a hard restart and not use the computer for a while the problem will be there when I try to use it later, so it happens even though I'm not using it. I have tried running my virus scan several times and it finds nothing. I also ran Malwarebytes several times and it found nothing. I tried disabling all add-ons and extensions and made a new profile on Firefox. That didn't help. I tried restoring IE to the default settings. No help either. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Stevenbm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

These browser issues...this is the only evidence of system problems?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Have you uninstalled the network drivers...and then reinstalled same?

Louis

#3 stevenbm

stevenbm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

The browser and email problems and the not being able to shut down when I have the browser and email problems are the issues. I don't know how to interpret the event logs for the problem and I don't know how to uninstall and reload the network drivers.
thanks,
Steve

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

If you actually read the link I previously provided on Event Viewer...you will see how to use the tool. You should only be concerned with errors, not information items, not warnings.

As for uninstalling/reinstalling drivers...

a. Uninstall: Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Scroll down to Network Adapters, double-click on it...right-click on the now listed device, click on Uninstall.

b. Install: Using either the drivers CD which came with system or appropriate drivers downloaded from the appropriate website...double-click on the appropriat file or otherwise install according to instructions provided.

There are a gazillion bits of info on installing/uninstalling drivers...available via using Google...if you want/need further info. Example follows.

Installing Hardware Drivers - http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/hardwaredrivers.html

Louis

#5 HubCityPC

HubCityPC

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

Is this computer connected to a router? Are you running any type of third party firewall?
Regards,
Kevin

#6 stevenbm

stevenbm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Yes,I'm connected to a router and I'm using the firewall of Charter Security Suite which uses F-Secure Anti Virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users