Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic / Text Only Printer output has extra CR/LF characters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eljainc

eljainc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

Hello,

We have a report that was generated from a WinXP machine, using the Generic / Text Only
printer driver. It is sent to a file by using FILE: as the port. When examining the
contents of the report, it is noticed that some graphics characters are embedded in
different places throughout the document. On closer examination they are Carriage Return
(CR) and Line Feed (LF) followed by spaces. We have tried to examine this file for
a pattern of these characters.

What might be causing this behavior? How can it be made so that these characters do
not appear in the file?

Is there another similar printer driver in WinXP that has just generic ASCII text output?

Thanks
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

CR and LF characters are both standard ASCII characters, but they are non-printing characters. They are the "End Of Line" character sequence used by Windows, without which your text file would consist of one single long line.

If your text editor is showing them (many text editors have that option) then you should probably look through the settings for your editor to turn off display of line endings.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I dont know that this is relevant but what is the make/model of the printer that created this file?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Andrew has a very good point.

If his suggestion should not solve the issue then I need to ask. Is there a reason only the generic MS provided driver (my thinking as the cause of the problem) is being used?
Is it due to the bloatware many printer manufacturers include in their software?
If so. Many times a driver only is available from the OEM site. If not then a custom install of the package may be offered.
As a last resort. After installing the software package many times with some careful tweaking most of the software can be disabled\uninstalled leaving just the driver.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

To clarify: I believe he is printing to a file, not to an actual printer.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

To clarify: I believe he is printing to a file, not to an actual printer.

I stand corrected. :wink:

It would sure seem to point to the viewer in this case.

Curious if the document were to be printed if they would appear. Really irrelevant at this point though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users