Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cfranklin3105

cfranklin3105

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:54 PM

I'm running Windows ME (I KNOW.......get rid of it!!!) and my system simply will not run the defrag portion of the Maintenance Wizard. This is particularly frustrating because my 'nearly 21 and knows-it-all idiot of a stepson' is constantly visiting website from which he downloads this noise he insists is 'music' and it takes up a lot of space until I dump the crap.........I have no doubt the drive is in serious need of a good defrag. Any suggestions? (I've already removed the speakers which has eliminated PART of the problem -- if he can't hear it he don't play it!)

(Moderator edit:moved to thread to more appropriate forum.jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 02 January 2006 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

You might try posting your issue in the ME forum here at Bleeping Computer. It is found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:51 PM

A Moderator will probably move your post to the correct forum soon.

In the meantime here is my recommendation:

Clean, Scan and Defrag in Safe Mode under Windows ME
  • Run CLEANMGR
    Click 'Start' then 'Run' and type cleanmgr and click OK.
    A grey box appears that says 'Select the drive you want to clean up.'
    In the pulldown menu select your harddrive, e.g. 'HP_PAVILION (C:)'.
    Then click on OK to run the disk cleanup.

You can also access cleanmgr by clicking Start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
  • Reboot in Safe Mode
    Usually achieved by tapping the F8 key as the system is booting, then selecting 'Safe Mode' from the menu.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
  • Run Scandisk
    Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>ScanDisk
    Click to highlight the drive you want scanned,if it is not already highlighted.
    Under "Type of test" select 'Thorough' and tick "Automatically fix errors".
    Click 'Start'.
  • Run Defrag
    Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter
    Select which drive you want to defragment in the pulldown menu.
    Click OK to start.
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:36 AM

Rimmer's advice is quite sound. The only thing I would add would be to be sure you have cleaned out all the gunk files, etc., first.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Maw

Maw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:20 AM

My sister has ME with the same problem. A friend told us it is because to much clutter is running in the background. Since neither of us know much about computers I use ctrl, alt, delete, to get the task manager up, then start ending tasks from the bottom of the list up, until defrag works. Still trying to figure out what we can get rid of permanently, but we can at least defrag once in awhile this way.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

Your friend, Maw, has a good point. Using Safe Mode runs the computer with the bare minimum of tasks going on, and drastically reduces the interruptions that send defrag back to the beginning over and over.

If you use Spybot, it has a very good tool to manage which applications launch on start up. You can make a list of these and research each of them on the BC startup database; the database will indicate whether these are needed, optional, or not, and you can use Spybot's tool to prevent them from launching. Doing this saves resources and speeds up your computer.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users