Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quadrophonic Audio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hey guys. My mom recently got a new set of speakers and gave her old ones to me. I remembered how when i first heard them, i was impressed with the audio they produced, so i gladly took them from her. Anyway, I hooked them up to my 7.1 Surround sound card. I've never worked with anything more than 2.1 (aka regular set of speakers), so i don't know what to expect. I went though Windows 7's audio controls, and did a test to make sure that all of the speakers were working correctly, and they were. Now, when I play audio or something, the audio only comes out of my original speakers, but not the new ones. Is this what should happen, or can i make audio come out of all 4 speakers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

A 2.1 speaker system is basically a stereo set up with a sub-woofer. In order to add the two other speakers you will need to wire them in series or parallel with the existing two speakers. The 2.1 speaker system has its own amplification, it takes the audio output of the computer and amplifies that stereo output. If both speaker system have the same impedance you could wire them in series safely. This type of connection will make the speakers less efficient, but may produce a safer load for the amplifiers since some amplifiers don't like to see a lower impedance. If the speakers don't have the same impedance it can create a load which the amplifier will not be stable with.

It would help if you were to post the make and model of both speaker systems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

Well... remember how I said it was a 2.1? No, it's not (laughs at own stupidity), I may be considerably knowledgeable about computers in general, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to terms involving audio. It's just 2.0 (I got that from my speaker box, so I know it's correct) They are just two sets of regular desktop computer speakers, no subs or anything, and they are both functioning during audio tests on my PC of the quad channels. I think what I'm trying to ask is if I can somehow split the signal going to my original speakers to the new speakers. Basically my audio setup is:

Posted Image

So, yeah. Is there a way to send the signal going to L & R to RL & RR without using a physical signal splitter?

I don't think it matters anymore, now that i've explained my goofs, but the speakers are:
Logitech LS11
Acer Generic USB Powered

I now feel like an idiot again...

Edited by jnk1296, 27 April 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

Just for a little more clarification. for my benefit. :blink:

You originally had 2 speakers only? This would equal 2.0
Two plus a sub-woofer is 2.1

You were given 2(?) speakers. Or 3?

You are now trying to combine 2 sets of mis-matched, total of 4 into Quad. = 4.0
Or do you have 5 speakers. 4 + a sub-woofer which is actually called 4.1. Which is what is shown in your picture.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Advisor Dc3 for the final proper assistance in this matter. :P

#5 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

OK. Let's put it like this. On the back of my MoBo, the integrated sound panel looks like this:
Posted Image

I have my LS11's:
Posted Image
Plugged into the green port.

And my Acer M1118B Speakers:
Posted Image
plugged into the black port.

The audio settings are set for Quadrophonic Audio, and when i hit the test button, all of the tones play correctly.

THERE IS NO SUBWOOFER! What you see pictured is all I am working with and the pictures are exact.

Sorry if this seemed a bit harsh. I couldn't think of another method of explanation.

How do i get audio to come out of both sets of speakers when, for example, I'm playing music? I just want the same signal to come out of both sets of speakers. Can i do this without a hard signal splitter?

Edited by jnk1296, 27 April 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

The audio settings are set for Quadrophonic Audio

Four source channels will be required in order to have sound in all four speakers. A stereo source like a CD or MP3 file will only drive the FR + FL speakers in Quad mode. A DVD with a 5.1 sound track should use all four speakers. If you'd like to generate some sound from the rear speakers on stereo sources, there might be a "fake quadrophonic" setting in the sound setup. But if you want the same sound from both sets of speakers (like for a second room) I think you'll need to use a y-splitter cable from the FR + FL socket, unless the sound settings have a specific mode to echo the front channels to all four.

Edited by Platypus, 27 April 2011 - 09:21 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

...there might be a "fake quadrophonic" setting in the sound setup...
...unless the sound settings have a specific mode to echo the front channels to all four...

Unfortunately, my audio options do not provide me with such luxuries, so i guess I'll have to buy a Y-Splitter. Or, i could always just pretend that the new speakers are working!:thumbsup: Some people might buy it!
Anyway, the news on that sucks, but the info is helpful. Thank you all for helping!

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

Keep in mind that running all the speakers together in the same room that way will not sound better - the ones that have better sound will always be pulled down by the sound of the worse ones...

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users