Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive - Unable to burn

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Newt1

Newt1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Just some background:

Dell Inspiron E1705
DVD-RW Drive
~4 years old, bought refurbished
Microsoft Windows XP SP3

I'm having an issue here that I'm sure must be a simple fix, but I can't seem to track down exactly what's wrong.

I reformatted this laptop a few months ago, and was sure to download all of my drivers beforehand, and thought I'd had everything taken care of. All seemed to be well until a week or so ago, when I tried to burn some files to a DVD.

I guess I hadn't noticed before, but when I open up My Computer, it shows a CD drive, as well as a DVD drive, even though I only have one drive, a DVD-RW. Screenshot attached:
Posted Image

Now, when I put a blank DVD-R into my drive, the window prompt that pops up says 'Blank CD,' and asks me what I want to do with it. I've tried just clicking the 'Open writable CD folder,' but it won't allow me to move anything into the writable folder. It just says 'Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file.' I'm assuming it's recognizing it as a CD, and not a DVD?

Also, when I put a regular DVD movie into my drive, it can play the movie just fine. When I open My Computer to see what drive it's showing up under, it appears on my D drive, the one that says CD Drive when no disk is inserted.

I'm hoping I've explained this so it makes sense. I'm just at a point where I don't know how to proceed from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Go to your Device Manager and expand the tree for the DVD/CD-ROM and then expand both optical drives to see what they are.

If you have an external storage device, like a flash drive, it could be show as an optical drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Newt1

Newt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

DVD/CD-ROM drives
-----HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-T11N
-----Memorex Mini TavelDrive USB Device
-----PQPCPY 5UZ45YB SCSI CdRom Device

I know the middle one, the Memorex Mini, is a USB flash drive.

I'm a bit lost on why it seems to be listing two CD/DVD drives.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Do you have any virtual machine software, like Daemon tools?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Newt1

Newt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

I do indeed. Daemon Tools Lite 4.3. I didn't even think of that.

Would that account for the third drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users