Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Issues - Possible Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ketsuhige

ketsuhige

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

First of all, I'm not very good with computers so please bear with me.

About a month ago, my PC restarted for no apparent reason. I then noticed that so many things have changed dramatically. There's too many to list, so I'll just mention the ones that stick out the most:

+ Appearance changed: it went back to windows classic (from the original Vista appearance). I was able to change it back to Vista.
+ Statup programs have all disappeared and won't come back. I tried so many times to have start-up programs reappear, but it just won't work. Now when I click the "start" button, the part where programs used to appear (google chrome, MS Word, Firefox...etc) is completely blank.
+ When I try to make certain changes, then won't take effect. Ex: open programs of the same type get grouped together and I don't like that. I went and unchecked that feature, clicked apply, nothing happens. It still groups them together.
+ Default programs changed: windows media player (WMP) used to be my default media player. Now, for videos, Divx is my default media player, iTunes player is my default MP3 player, and any other type that used to be assigned to WMP is now an unrecognizable file. I try to pick WMP as my default player several times, using various options, the change just won't take effect.
+ Recycle Bin is ALWAYS empty: if I delete a file, it won't go to the waste basket first; it gets automatically and permanently deleted from my PC.

I'm sure there are more issues that I haven't discovered yet, but this is enough to really piss me off.

I've had PC problems in the past and I've always been able to resolve them myself. But this is the very first time that I've encountered something that I just don't understand or know how to deal with. I've ran two or three different virus/malware scans and NOTHING was detected.

I've now come to humbly request the assistance of those of you who may know what's wrong with my PC (perhaps even recognize the symptoms I mentioned) and suggest a solution.

I think I'm supposed to post my PC "log" or whatever it's called and I don't know how to get it. If I remember correctly, I'm supposed to download something called hijackthis and use it to generate a log, is that correct?

Anyway, your help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

Hi ketsuhige,

Start here with malwarebytes http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-malware-tutorial. Free version is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users