Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable Hard Drive won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bead87

Bead87

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

My daughter had a Seagate 320GB portable hard drive. While plugged in & running it was knocked off of the top of her tower and hit against the side of the tower. It didn't come unplugged, but now when you try to plug it in to any computer by its USB cable the computer won't recognize it. It won't spin-up all the way, it starts to boot up, then it just hums-beeps-and light slow fades on & off. Is there anything I can do to get it to boot up just long enough to retrieve all her pictures she has stored on it of my granddaughter? I'm 41 & no genius with computers, but I do enough research to get enough answers to get by. This, however, is WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE!!! Please, can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

What is the model number ?

first I would check the connections as something may have got bent when it fell. Check pins on power connection and try a different USB cable. you may be that lucky.

#3 Bead87

Bead87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thanks, already thought of that. Have tried all 9 of the other USB cables that match it. No go. Even tried using my powered USB base that came with my Seagate portable. That didn't work either. I'll get back to you with the model number shortly. Again, thanks very much!

#4 YodaGuru

YodaGuru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

I had the same problem with my Seagate drive. The only way I finally got it work was to pull it out of the external enclosure and plug it into another one. I hope that you have better luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users