Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot up problem with a HP laptop running Win XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nephew

Nephew

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

First off, want to say I'm a big fan of your site. A number of your tutorials have proven useful and I'm always confident I can find a solution here.

But for this problem I'm completely stumped and didn't know where to start looking.

On my PC laptop I can't get it to boot up properly. I've been having issues with the XP Security 2011 virus that's been doing the rounds recently and followed your guide on removing it and it worked, but ever since I've been having these odd little issues with my laptop.

Audio driver decides to stop working, wireless card goes on the fritz. A restart solves these issues so that's no big deal, just have t deal with it until I sort it out.

But now, when ever I restart my PC laptop, I get the HP Invent screen, and then after that I get a black screen with a flashing cursor and nothing more, I can't get to the Windows logo screen or anything.

I hit escape at the HP Invent screen and go to the system diagnostics screen and ran the Runin Test and Startup test and passed both.

So.... any help guys? Kind of stuck in the water on how to go about repairing this. Any advice or directions are appreciated.

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

first let me say that in my opinion the only true relief from some of these viruses (especially audio problems) is to re-install windows. there, that's said.

Now, do you have important data that you would like to save ? and

do you have a windows xp disc ? (you may be able to repair the boot problem using recovery console)

#3 Nephew

Nephew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

I've backed up all the important files after I got the virus just in case something like this happened so no worries there. As far as an XP disc I have nada on that end. Got it from a friend who wanted to buy a Mac and he couldn't find any of the discs.

I remember having some issues sometime ago and was able to restore my laptop back to it's factory settings by hitting F8 at the Windows logo page and going through a few menus, but I can't even get to that point.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

what model do you have ?

if there is a recovery partition, then you should be able to access it before windows starts.
F8 usually brings you to the windows boot screen where you can choose safe mode, etc.

Could it be another F key for recovery ?

#5 Nephew

Nephew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

I have a HP Elitebook 8730w, and when I press escapce at the HP Invent screen all I get is,

F1 System Information
F2 System Diagnostics

F7 HP Sparekey
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 BIOS Setup

F12 Network Setup

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

i'll look at the manual.

F9 boot options may allow you into the recovery partition

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

For reference purposes: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3784202

Louis

#8 Nephew

Nephew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

i'll look at the manual.

F9 boot options may allow you into the recovery partition

I tried all the options in F9 and none of them worked. Of the top of my head it was just,

Notebook Upgrade Bay
Notebook Hard Drive
Notebook Ethernet

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Louis ,
Looks like the laptop came with recovery disks and does not have a recovery partition. This should be confirmed by examining the hard drive with other bootable media.

You can purchase recovery disks for your computer from HP.

alternately there is a bootable disk out there with recovery console on it. it is not available from microsoft so, use at your own risk. it is linked to on this page
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/150212-boot-to-recovery-console-wo-xp-cd/

Read up on how to use it. commands you will be interested in are Chkdsk , Fixboot , Fixmbr

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

if in fact there is a recovery partition F11 might get you there.

#11 Nephew

Nephew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, appreciate it! Will let you know how it turns out

#12 Nephew

Nephew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

So all your solutions assume I can get to the "Welcome to setup screen", but I can't get to that screen, and I don't see an option to boot from CD drive

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

you may have to change the boot order in your BIOS (F10) to set CD drive to boot first

or

F9 for boot options and select CD drive and drive is not listed ? did you try booting from the upgrade bay with cd in drive ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users