Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 total security virus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 unversed

unversed

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:37 AM

Three nights ago, my laptop was infected with a virus called "Win 7 Total Security". It had gotten past my anti-virus program (Avira) and disabled Microsoft Security Essentials. Though I had run numerous scans with Avira, it didn't detect anything and it wasn't until I had reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials that it was able to remove some of it. Malwarebytes was also able to pick up a few things along with Ad-aware and AVG, however, despite all of that, the virus is still in my taskbar. It doesn't seem to be active currently, but I am not able to turn on Windows Security or Windows Firewall and it's lagging a lot of my programs.

I'm pretty sure I've run almost a hundred computer scans and I still can't kick out this virus for good. If anyone has any solutions or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unversed

unversed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I really want to kill this virus for good!

#3 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi unversed,

Try this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011 Good Luck

#4 unversed

unversed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

coles1mom,

Thank you for the reply! I followed the directions, but it still hasn't got rid of the virus. If there's any other ways I can try, please let me know!

#5 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

Hi unversed,

Sorry it didn't work. You may want to follow this guide and post over at the removal log forum. step 9 links you there. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,913 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

Hello, you are running WIN 7? As this effects the others also.

Are you running Avira and AVG antivirus apps?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 unversed

unversed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

boopme,

Yes, I am running WIN 7 and AVG antivirus apps.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,913 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

If you are running both AVG and Avira you need to Remove one. My choice ,keep Avira.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to these[/color] instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, [color="#8B0000"]Post new scan log
and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 unversed

unversed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

boopme,

I know should have waited, but a few people I knew recommended that I switch to AVG and uninstall Avira. Should I switch back to Avira instead?

Thank you for the instructions!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,913 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

Well I would use Avirs ,see post 8 here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic393197.html

#11 unversed

unversed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

boopme,

I will definitely switch back to Avira then, thank you!

Also, I have followed your instructions, but none of the scans picked up anything malicious and the virus program is still in my taskbar.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,913 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Hello, I was out a few days ,if you still have that issue.
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

#13 unversed

unversed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

boopme,

I followed your instructions and downloaded the ESET scanner. After running a scan, it didn't detect anything, but when I went to check my taskbar, I realized that the icon for the virus had disappeared. I'm not sure if the scan or something else got rid of it, but I am still unable to turn on Windows Security Center.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,913 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

Go into the control panel then administrative tools and open up services and look for Security center and make sure the start up type is automatic (delayed) and then if its not started start it.

Edited by boopme, 06 May 2011 - 08:37 PM.

#15 unversed

unversed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

boopme,

I tried to find Security Center in the services search, but for some reason I couldn't find it. I'm not sure if it's just be or not, but maybe I'm missing something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users