Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer and/or browser freeze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AzJack

AzJack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:31 AM

My computer will stop in it's tracks for no reason. I can be reading a news item and the pointer(mouse) will stop moving and I have to reboot. There is no pattern to this problem. Sometimes I can go for hours and sometimes it happens every minute or so..I try to check event log but there is nothing there..I have attached the event viewer info. When this happens nothing works,,the page freezes, window freezes or what ever I am working on.The pointer stops..no blue screen..no black window..I can still see what I was doing..BUT the pointer won't move. Anyone have any suggestions? The error codes are 6005 and 6009.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thirdkray

thirdkray

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:38 AM

Things to try:

http://www.eventid.net

Apologies if any of this seems simplistic.

Basic runarounds:

Firstly, defrag, then scan rigorously with updated malware & antivirus programmes. Is Windows up to date?

Can you use ALT + TAB when it freezes? Does CTRL + ALT + DEL work? If you can, check to see if anything is using a suspiciously large amount of CPU resource (discount system idle).

If it always happens with the browser open - reinstall the browser, or try a different browser altogether and see if the same thing happens. If teenagers use your machine, have they infested your browser with toolbars? Unload them all, checking to see if they exist in add/remove programs first

Check recently installed programs and software? There may be a conflict somewhere.

If you have a bunch of icons on the taskbar on the bottom right hand side, turn off what you don't need. If you load a bunch of stuff on boot, turn some of that off in msconfig (scanners, camera software, In CD, iTunes etc).

Hardware:

How old is the machine? I know this may sound ridiculous but have you tried a different mouse or if it is a usb mouse, used it in a different port?

UNPLUG FIRST!!! If it is an older machine + you know how, have you tried swapping your ram chip(s) or moving slots etc? Is anything getting hot inside it? After a freeze, if you take the side cover off, is the hdd, cpu or power supply getting overly hot?

It may help more knowledgeable posters if you include a description of the machine, operating system version, recently added hardware etc.

Edited by thirdkray, 27 April 2011 - 04:40 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

Overheating?

Louis

#4 thirdkray

thirdkray

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

Did the freezing behaviour start after you put in RAM? Was it a replacement chip?

RAM must be well seated and the clips flicked up. If you recently replaced a chip (and of course if you have more than one) I would remove the new one and see if the freeze still occurs. If not, put the new chip back in and ensure you seated it correctly. If you get a freeze then, you may have a bad chip. Likewise test any other chips on their own, and paired etc.

RAM can also conflict with other RAM, just to add mayhem.

You didn't say whether you checked for heat.

>>>thanks for the reply. However your suggestions will not work. When my computer freezes the page is visable but the pointer will not move. I have to shut off and start. When I check the event log nothing shows. There is no record of the freeze. It freezes with no warning and it doesn't seem to matter what I am doing..email..video..web pages..whatever. I am running Windows XP home, AMD processor with lots of memory. Just put in RAM have 1.87 GB..Have over 90% hard drive free. thanks

Edited by thirdkray, 03 May 2011 - 06:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users