Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with OpenOffice 3.3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

I know what you are thinking. It's a problem of setting associations, right? I assure you, I have already checked this. Let me fill you in. I work in the Online Learning office of a local community college. A student brought her laptop in today because she was not able to open a .doc file that she needed for an online class. When a coworker of mine checked her system, she found that the student had been using a trial version of Office 2010 that came with the laptop and had since expired. My coworker then downloaded OpenOffice 3.3 and set the association for .doc files for OpenOffice Writer. Now, when we try to open the linked .doc files in the online course material, we get a message across the bottom of the browser screen (Sorry, the laptop is running Windows 7, IE8) saying that it is downloading the file and a loading bar. The loading bar never turns green, although we do get a rotating blue circle next to the cursor. After a period of time that will last anywhere from five seconds to maybe twenty seconds, the blue circle goes away and it says "Done" in the bottom left part of the screen. Problem is, nothing opens up. I did find out while looking into something else that Writer is showing open in Task Manager, but it never opens an active window. We can right click on the link and save the file to the desktop and open the file from there. But I really want to know why we can't just open the file directly from the link. If anybody out there has any information on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

P.S. I did try to open the file on a different computer and I did not have a problem. Also, would trying the link in Firefox or maybe using LibreOffice help instead? Just some things I am pondering... Thanks again.

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

Apparently it got fixed before I got in to work today. Not sure what was done, but it has been resolved. Thanks anyway.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for letting us know. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users