Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free/Open Source m4v to DVD burners?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

My primary computer is a mac. I didn't realize it DVD burner until tonight. I need to burn a DVD.

I took the m4v file to my windows tower, and I can't get it to burn as a DVD people can watch in a television.

Is there an open source solution to this issue that anyone knows of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

If it doesn't have DRM. . .

You could try DVDstyler, I'm told it will convert and burn m4V to DVD. It's free. The last time I installed it, it wanted to install a toolbar, But you don't have to install the toolbar, just un-tic it. No spyware that I could see.

It's finicky, but when it works, it works well.

You can create some really nice menus too. Wish it would make a DVD with PCM/LPCM, but it won't.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDStyler

or you could try DVDflick.

http://www.dvdflick.net/

MultiAVCHD is worth a try, not sure if it will burn M4V to SD DVD. If you're interested, check out the Doom9 forums.

Hope it helps.

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thank you. I'll try those later.

No, the file isn't DRM'd. It's home video I took on my vacation, uploaded to my mac, and strung together with some slides and transitions in imovie. A teacher friend of mine wanted to share it with his class, because they're studying that part of the world this week. ^_^

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

You should find out what formats your DVD player will handle. "Burning a DVD" can be taken two ways:

1. A proper DVD with MPEG2 files and menus
2. A data disk with a bunch of video files (mpeg, xvid, mkv etc)

If you just want to play files, convert them to whatever format is needed for the player and record as a data dvd. A proper DVD with menus is very time-consuming to make, although some apps will produce a basic setup. If you don't want to keep the converted files, use a RW DVD so you can record others over the top (again making sure your player can read DVD RW).

#5 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

My primary computer is a mac. I didn't realize it [didn't have a?] DVD burner until tonight. I need to burn a DVD.

I took the m4v file to my windows tower, and I can't get it to burn as a DVD people can watch in a television.

Is there an open source solution to this issue that anyone knows of?

This is an old post, but, maybe someone else can use this info.

Here is another solution, in addition to all the above.

Create your MV4, FLV, or MPEG 4 or whatever video in iMovie / iDVD on your Mac.

(I use Mpeg Streamclip to convert to DV. The quality is much better IMHO)

Then in iDVD, drag your video in, create your menu or whatever, then under "File" > "save to disc image" Click the burn icon. And wait . . . And wait . . . and wait. (incidently, iDVD will create a DVD with PCM, so that's cool)

When iDVD is done, Find and double click the the disc image to show the VIDEO_TS folder. (You don't need the AUDIO_TS folder)

Drag the VIDEO_TS folder to a thumb drive or external hard drive.

Now move to your windows machine. Connect thumb/external drive to Windows USB.

Copy the VIDEO_TS folder to Windows. Or burn right from the thumb/external drive, your choice.

Burn the VIDEO_TS folder with Imgburn, or whatever you like.

My superdrive died on my Mac, so this is how I do it now. Works good. :)

Or, just buy an external DVD burner to plug in to the Mac. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users