Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tips/Tricks/Reccommendations to Decrease Start-up Time?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cpu1

cpu1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi everyone. I'm looking to learn all the things I can do to decrease the time from when I push the power button to when I can actually use my computer.

How I measure this is the time from when I push the power button to when the desktop shows up and when FireFox opens (I have to click the icon.) Right now, I'm at avg. 55 sec. for desktop to show-up and another 35 sec. after that for FF to launch. This is a total of avg 90 sec. from power button push to internet connectivity.

I've read where folks can get launches in half this time. I'd love to be able to do this, but any significant improvement is welcome. I know my time is not THAT BAD, but it's kind of become a challenge to see how fast I can get it.

So far, I've downloaded and ran CCleaner several times and Defragmentation with the Windows utility and then 2 more times with Defraggler (I heard it works better than the stock program in Windows). The results have made the overall window-opening, etc, faster, but not the start-up.

What else do you recommend? Feel free to post your own speed, preferably measured the same way I measure mine (to keep things in the same perspective).

I'm running Windows Vista, 32-bit, 360GB harddrive, 3GB ram, 2Ghz processor.

I also have a BootSkin, which is a picture that displays in place of the windows loading bar, and an animated 3D desktop background.

Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks for your help with my goal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

Why is this important to you? Does the system run okay once Windows loads? If so, don't worry about whether it takes 90 seconds or 10 seconds to boot. Just turn it on and go pour yourself a cup of coffee :)

#3 cpu1

cpu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

It's just an idea that came into my head :lol: I just thought that it would make for an interesting learning experience to try to see if I can get my start-up time down. I know I'll probably spend much more time reducing it by like 20 sec. than I will gain by doing it :hysterical:

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:37 AM

And probably cause problems for yourself in the process. If it ain't broke......

#5 cpu1

cpu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I guess you're right. I'd still like to know how some of these guys are at the half-minuet mark, though :wink:. I'm guessing upgraded equipment and ssd drives?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

I don't know and I don't care. I have a lot of systems. Some boot within a minute, some take 3 or 4 minutes (possibly longer, I honestly don't know). I do not sit and watch them boot and as long as they work properly once the do boot I'm happy.

#7 cpu1

cpu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, it's probably best to just go do something for a minuet and let the comp do it's thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users