Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet speed and cables questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gamemaster406

gamemaster406

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

Hello, I have a few questions about my ethernet speed and if I'm getting the 1000MB in my 10/100/1000 ethernet switch. My first question is if Cat5e and Enhanced Cat5 are the same? I have the Enhanced Cat5 cable connecting my modem to the switch, but the switch is only reading 100M (only one light is green). I have the Cat5e (doesn't say enhanced on it) connecting my PC to my ethernet switch. This is where my main concern comes in. Both lights are on (1000M) for the port that my computer is connected to, but only the 100M is reading in the port my modem is connected to. So do I have wrong cables? Is the modem too old for 10/100/1000?

I hope this isn't too confusing. Basically the port the modem connects to has just 100M lit up, but the port connecting my PC has both lit up.

EDIT: I just did a test on Speedtest.net and its only reading 10-13 Mbps. That doesn't seem to fast...

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by gamemaster406, 26 April 2011 - 08:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

Are you confusing LAN (local area network) speeds with your actual internet speed?

Either way, the cable shouldn't matter too much (unless you have special circumstances), but for a gb lan connection to work, you must have:
-1gb LAN Connection (card) on the PC
-1gb LAN connection on the router/modem/hub/switch
-1gb LAN connection (card) on the other PC.

The 10/100/1000mb is for PC to PC in your network only. You'll only get the internet speeds that you are subscribed to. 10+mbps isn't bad at all, and is above-average.

Edited by NpaMA, 27 April 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#3 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I also checked with my ISP and we should be getting up to 20 Mbps which is true.

Thanks,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users