Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat XP on old PC's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jonzy28

jonzy28

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

I have recently been given 9 old Lenovo ThinkCentre PC's and I want to clean them up, put a new copy of Windows XP on them and sell them for a few bucks. The first I'm working on is a 9481 M57e series. I have completed the OS installation but have been unable to get online to authenticate Windows, perform updates and install AV and security software. In the device manager, it shows there are no drivers installed for the following items: Ethernet Controller, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I was under the impression with XP that everything was plug and play. I have downloaded and installed from the following site http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-69414.html#networking the Intel Video driver, the Marvell Ethernet driver, and the Think Center System update. Is this strictly a hardware issue or is it software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

You need to go to the website of the computer manufacturer (or mobo manufacturer) and download and install the chipset (smbus) driver. Then go to the websites of the other card manufacturers (video, sound, ethernet) and download and install their drivers.

#3 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

In other words, A little bit of detective work and some elbow grease will be needed.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

You have the right website for your drivers

Download & install the
Intel Chipset
ATI Radeon video
Realtek high def audio
v.90 data/fax modem
Marvel Ethernet

Then check device manager.
Everything should be happy at that point.
Then activate it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 jonzy28

jonzy28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:28 AM

OK, downloaded and installed all of the above mentioned drivers but still no change in being able to get online or in device manager.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

I'm just curious, how are you going to afford to install Windows on nine computers and sell them for a profit? Unless you have a volume license you are going to have to purchase a copy of Windows for each computer as they are intended for one installation only. If you don't use a copy of Windows with a valid product code you will not be able to activate the operating system. If this is the case the operating system has thirty days in which to activate it, if it isn't done in that time it will have a very limited use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users