Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skepsci

skepsci

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

So I accidentally kicked my power strip, resulting in my computer shutting down in the most violent manner possible. Now, when I try to boot normally, it shows the loading windows screen for around the usual length of time, then the screen goes black and nothing happens. "Last known good configuration" -> same thing. When I try to boot in safe mode, it loads files for a while, then gets stuck and nothing happens.

I tried booting the recovery console using a windows installer CD, and using checkdisk, but it says, "The specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive". (This is despite the drive being at least sort-of bootable, since it starts booting but hangs.) I also tried resetting the BIOS to factory specifications, since something I read in Google recommended that. No change.

Any help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

I would disconnect the hard drive...try to boot, see what happens.

Then...reconnect the hard drive, try to boot.

Post the exact onscreen messages received in each case, please.

Louis

#3 skepsci

skepsci
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

I installed a second copy Windows, and my computer will now boot. I am actually really confused by this, because it now boots properly into the old copy of Windows, even after me deleting the new copy from boot.ini and renaming the windows folder for the new copy. But it's working now, so best not to dwell on it too hard. Maybe it performed some basic disk verification thing during the install or something which fixed it.

Thanks!

Edited by skepsci, 26 April 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for the feedback...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users