Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion running slow with no apparent problems...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ShoeboxFred

ShoeboxFred

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

I must say that I am stumped with this one...
I have an HP Pavilion DV8000 laptop, 1.8 GHz Turion 64bit, 1 gb of ddr Ram, ATI Radeon Mobile x200 graphics card running Win XP MCE 2005. The computer is very slow to boot and slow to do anything else. I have cleaned the old unused programs off of it, disabled all start up programs, disabled the MC service, Checked paging fle (which is where it needs to be), did virus scans with updated AVG ativirus in both safe mode and regular boot (clean), did Malwarebytes scans in both safe mode and regular boot (clean), ran a registry cleaner(Eusing), Defragged the hard drive, ran Disk Cleanup, ran several tests on the RAM and Hard drive for integrity, all have come back good. The hard drive is an 80gb with about half used. The system takes 6 min or so to boot up, and when it does get booted up, the video and the sound are both very choppy (youtube) and everything is very slow. Checking task manager for processes for all users, the CPU usage stays between 50-100%, but no process in the tree shows any real usage at all. Any ideas on this conundrum? Could we have a Motherboard problem and how would I go about testing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

The obvous answer maybe the corect one? Have you consider that this machine may be nearing its "end of life"? Trust me, I hate to face that fact as well, but it may be the case, since you have tried everything except a full reformat. Never hurts to try a fresh start.

#3 ShoeboxFred

ShoeboxFred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

Well, I have tried everything...I guess your right...a reformat and re-install will probably be the answer. If not, then its to the dump with it....Thanks

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

How does it run in safe mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users