Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a new router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hello Guys,

I need new router for my home. Currently I have the following :

- I am using a Linksys WRT54G Router (Ver 7)
- There is a desktop and a few laptops
- Laptops are connected by wifi
- Desktop is connected thru a lan cable
- A printer is there which was connected thru a belkin printserver

I need a new router because :

- I need a bandwidth monitor so that I can track how much data transfer is taking place. So if a router does this job then its easier as I don't have to monitor individual systems. (My internet plan has a data download limit).
- Though thirdparty firmware or software exists for such routers, but I can't install in mine because of low ram or flash memory.
- I have a printer and I want each machine to access it. So I have bought a belkin print server which connects to my router and each system could then independantly access the printer. But for last few days its not working. I think belkin print sever is old and now not working properly.

What do I need ?

- A wireless router which can enable wifi devices to connect to network plus one wired system.
- Is able to track how much data transfer has taken place between a period of time.
- Supports printing so a printserver inbuilt

I know that third party firmwares like dd wrt can be installed on some routers. For e.g. I am getting Asus WL-520GU for $40 and Asus RT-N3U for $60. Now both are wireless routers and support printing. The WL-520GU is slightly older while RT-N3U is newer. But dd wrt works on the older one and on the newer it does not work on Hardware B1 rev which is currently being sold.

So what should I do? Buy older one or get newer one and wait for an update. Is there any other devices which you guys can recommend.

I will be glad if anyone can help me.

Thanks a lot,

Cheers,
GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

have you looked at tomato for the router you now have ?

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

#3 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:52 AM

@Caperdog: Tomato will not support my router. Its V7 and tomato only supports till V4. (Please read before posting).

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

Are you using cable, DSL, ISDN, 3G, 4G, T-1, or T-3? What price are you looking for?

Edit: The Cisco 1941W would do everything you are asking using Netflow software for the Cisco IOS. Its 1250.00 though. As far as a cheap/free solution it would be DD WRT / Tomato on a compatible router.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 May 2011 - 01:40 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:06 AM

Are you using cable, DSL, ISDN, 3G, 4G, T-1, or T-3? What price are you looking for?

Edit: The Cisco 1941W would do everything you are asking using Netflow software for the Cisco IOS. Its 1250.00 though. As far as a cheap/free solution it would be DD WRT / Tomato on a compatible router.

Well my budget isnt $1200. It's $50. Anyways I have bought a buffalo router as it comes with DD WRT and I have installed it at my home. It's working fine. My belkin print server isnt working so I need to buy a new print server. Once I get a new print server I think I should be through. Any recommendation on the print server's front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users