Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefoxe Redirect, background ads audio, and IE script errors! PLEASE HELP!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have used this site to fix viruses in the past but I am having trouble with this one so I thought I would sign up and just start a thread!

Ok here is the skinny! I recently got that Windows Recovery thing on my home PC and my girlfriends laptop(which is filled with her homework!). I ran my computer in safe mode w/ networking, ran RKILL, then ran Malware Bytes. MB found some stuff, so I removed them, restarted my PC, and thought all was well...

After I did this I opened up google and my searches are being redirected to random ads, background ads started running(even if I closed my browser, and it is audio only), and IE script errors began popping up even though I am using firefox or dont have any pages open.

Also, I am definitely NOT a computer wiz, so please try to keep that in mind lol. Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

Anything?

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Hello.

Let's try this.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
(TFC only cleans temp folders. It will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies).
Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job.
Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine, if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

NOTE:
It's normal after running TFC that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (uncheck all others):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode". When logging in, log in under the account that you normally use; do NOT log in under the account titled "Admin" or "Administrator" unless this account is the one used normally.

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
SUPERAntiSpyware Log
How is the computer running now?

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:45 AM

I just finished the steps you gave me, thank you for the help. Sorry I didnt get to this faster, Ive been busy the last few days. My browser is still getting redirected, I havent heard any audio in the back ground yet but I am not sure if that issue has been fixed, I JUST finished the SUPERAntiSpyware scan. 1530 items detected, is that a record or something? lol

Here is the log file you requested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8syf7c54l58dbky

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:02 AM

Hello.

Almost all of the entries found were tracking cookies. . . so nothing spectacular.

Let's try this.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

~Blade

TDSSKiller Log

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

TDSSKiller wont run. I tried to rename it with the .com file extension and it still will not run.

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hello.

Sounds like you may have one of the newest variants of this infection.

Please download Rootkit Unhooker and save it to your Desktop
  • Double-click on RKUnhookerLE to run it
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan
  • Check Drivers, Stealth and uncheck the rest
  • Click OK
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report
  • Save the report to your Desktop
Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.

Note - you may get this warning.
"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

If you do, please proceed normally.

~Blade

RKU log

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#8 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

The link you provided is apparently timing out(from what firefox is telling me) on my desktop and the laptop. Is there anywhere else I can get this program?

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Here you go. http://forum.sysinternals.com/uploads/20071210_182632_rku37300509.rar

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#10 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

When I try to open it it says "Failed to enable debug privilege, not critical issue", and then it says "Error, load driver privilege not adjusted"

Sorry about all the problems I am encountering! thanks for sticking with me.

#11 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

To confirm, did you extract the executable before trying to run it?

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#12 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

I dont know lol, I tried to open the file right when I dled it(I just double clicked it) and it tried to open it with WinZip and it said I had to buy it or something. I should probably delete it and try again with JZip or w/e its called.

Here is a pic of what Im looking at. At this point I hit extrack, extract to my desktop, then try and run it and I get that message I described above.

Posted Image

Edited by Gentle_Ben, 01 May 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#13 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

You may need to download and install 7zip to deal with the .rar format. It is a freeware program. The actual file you need to run is an .exe

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#14 Gentle_Ben

Gentle_Ben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:45 PM

Its saying the same thing with 7-Zip.

#15 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

Alright. . . well it's safe enough to see that you're very infected even if we can't see exactly what the issue is.

It appears that the issues on your system will require a more in-depth examination than can be performed in this forum. Please read the information in this guide, and follow all the steps beginning with step 6. After you have followed the steps in that guide, I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. The MRT is very busy, so it could be several days (6-8 days is the average wait right now) before you receive a reply. But rest assured, help is on the way!

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users